Insurance question..

Hi. I had purchased berkley cruise insurance when I got my cruise booked on Expedia. But I now realize that this insurance is the one sold by the cruise line, which everyone warns against. I read through and it covers strikes, weather, that kind of thing, but who knows. This is just the cruise insurance, it doesn't include my flight. So, now that I am going to buy my flight seperately can I cancel Berkely and buy insurance to cover my cruise and flights together? I'm so confused, but I don't want to get stuck with a problem from bad insurance.... any ideas?

We just bought Berkely. I called them prior to purchasing it and they told me that the air was covered whether we purchased it with our cruise or on our own. We purchased it on our own so that was a concern of ours. He said "it's covered". Evidently Royal Caribbean has their own "rules" with Berkely so not all Berkely policies are the same. Which is very common with insurance carriers. Most of the time they just handle the "paperwork" for companies that self insure. Sounds to me like this is what Royal Caribbean does.

If you have questions, I would just call them directly and ask.

Think you might have to read what Expedia's policy is as far as cancellation. Sure it doesn't include flight? Thought that part has changed. Maybe I should reread mine (Berkley). I can cancel mine at anytime without penalty or fee, there is no 10 day rule for Royal's insurance unless Expedia has some charge.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Ok looked at the info I printed out and yes airfare in included BUT it's not Berkley but Stonebridge. This is the insurance offered from the cruiseline for us? Seems strange, sure it's through the cruiseline? I assumed we had the same company since you said that and I knew we decided to go through the cruiseline for insurance.

This is on a brief summary on Royal's site, I however read the full information before making my decision:

CruiseCare Travel Insurance provides cancellation and interruption protection for independently booked air, as well as coverages to protect you during your covered Trip, as follows:

Trip Cancellation for Independently Booked Air up to Total Original Airfare Cost.

Trip Interruption for Independently Booked Airup to 150% of Total Original Airfare Cost.

Trip Delay up to $500: If you miss the departure of your trip due to carrier-caused delays or other covered reasons, the plan reimburses you for additional accommodations, meals and "catch-up" transportation expenses.

Baggage Protection: If your baggage or personal property is lost, stolen, or damaged, the plan will cover up to $1,500. If your bags are delayed or misdirected for more than 24 hours, the plan will reimburse you up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal items.

Medical Expenses up to $10,000: Should you become injured or sick during your vacation, the plan will reimburse you for necessary medical expenses for up to one year from the date of your accident or illness. This coverage is especially important, as Medicare and many private insurance policies generally do not cover you outside of the U.S. or Canada, and many HMOs do not cover you outside their provider area.

Emergency Evacuation up to $25,000: In the event that a covered illness or injury requires air or ground transportation to a specialized facility or to return home, the plan provides for covered medical services and supplies (coordinated by our 24-hour Assistance provider, to help ensure your safe transport).

For additional details, please click here

Underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, Ohio under policy number(s): MZ0911036H0000A or MZ0911008H0000A.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Archived