I currently have 2 family trips planned and have purchased policies through Travel Guard (one independent and one cruise).  They were each purchased within the 15 days period after initial booking so we are eligible for the pre-existing condition waivers.  I also purchased "cancel for any reason" coverage (50% coverage).  I have purchased several trip insurance policies through the years but have have never had a claim.  I recently was looking through the FAQ's on the Travel Guard website and ran across this:

Can I put non-family members on my plan?

Travelers on a single policy must reside at the same residence. If your non-family member traveling companion has the same address, yes you can include them. Otherwise please purchase a separate plan to ensure coverage.

This led me to do some online searches and I found general references that people living at different addresses need to have separate policies.  We all live in Indiana (3 different addresses), but I have always purchased one policy because I plan and pay for the entire trip. When purchasing the policies, it NEVER asks for our addresses other than my address and it never asks the question about if we all live at the same address.  I realize that the FAQ is talking about non-family members and hopefully that doesn't apply to family members as well.  I have looked all through the policy and I can't find anything that discusses who can be on a single policy at all. I am kind of afraid to call Travel Guard and ask becasue if they make us separate it into different policies it could jeopardize our pre-existing waiver.  But on the other hand I don't want it to jeopardize our entire coverage.  I would appreciate some professional input.

Alaska 2021 trip insurance policy.pdf

1 hour ago, mscloyd said:

I currently have 2 family trips planned and have purchased policies through Travel Guard (one independent and one cruise).  They were each purchased within the 15 days period after initial booking so we are eligible for the pre-existing condition waivers.  I also purchased "cancel for any reason" coverage (50% coverage).  I have purchased several trip insurance policies through the years but have have never had a claim.  I recently was looking through the FAQ's on the Travel Guard website and ran across this:

Can I put non-family members on my plan?

Travelers on a single policy must reside at the same residence. If your non-family member traveling companion has the same address, yes you can include them. Otherwise please purchase a separate plan to ensure coverage.

This led me to do some online searches and I found general references that people living at different addresses need to have separate policies.  We all live in Indiana (3 different addresses), but I have always purchased one policy because I plan and pay for the entire trip. When purchasing the policies, it NEVER asks for our addresses other than my address and it never asks the question about if we all live at the same address.  I realize that the FAQ is talking about non-family members and hopefully that doesn't apply to family members as well.  I have looked all through the policy and I can't find anything that discusses who can be on a single policy at all. I am kind of afraid to call Travel Guard and ask becasue if they make us separate it into different policies it could jeopardize our pre-existing waiver.  But on the other hand I don't want it to jeopardize our entire coverage.  I would appreciate some professional input.

Alaska 2021Unavailable

Hi mscloyd,

I've worked with Travel Guard for 19 years and I've seen lots of people unknowingly do the same. It's never negatively affected their claim. Their claims were still paid.

Steve Dasseos

Thanks Steve!  That puts my mind at ease.  It seems so strange that it never comes up in the quote and purchase and isn't even identified in the policy itself if it were a requirement. And I spent quite a lot of time online and couldn't find much. When I saw this section about travel insurance I took a chance that I could get an answer.  I really do appreciate your time.

16 hours ago, mscloyd said:

Thanks Steve!  That puts my mind at ease.  It seems so strange that it never comes up in the quote and purchase and isn't even identified in the policy itself if it were a requirement. And I spent quite a lot of time online and couldn't find much. When I saw this section about travel insurance I took a chance that I could get an answer.  I really do appreciate your time.

Hi mscloyd,

You're welcome.

Feel free to call me at 1-888-407-3854 or email me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com anytime after this Q & A is completed if there's anything you want to know about how travel insurance works.

Steve Dasseos