RCCL Hawaii cruises??

We are considering doing a roundtrip Hawaii cruise in 2008 and are trying to decide on the cruise line/timing.

We asked for a brochure from RCCL and although roundtrips to Hawaii were listed for 2006 (one in Spring and one in Fall), that was the extent we saw. Does anyone know whether RCCL sends the Radiance EVERY YEAR to Hawaii, or was this a "temporary" thing? From my understanding, at least this year, it does the roundtrip ONE time from L.A. and ONE time from San Diego.

Also, there are two cabins we are really interested in (aft ones that have a bigger balcony....I forgot their numbers now, one was 1000 something, the other in the 9sss) and I would imagine they'd be really really hard to get, since they seem to be the only ones in their respective classes (mini/junior suite and whatever the class is right below that) that have the bit bigger balconies. How early does RCCL take reservations...can you apply for something before booking opens/be put on a "waiting list"?

Next: Has anybody been on BOTH RCCL Radiance to Hawaii AND Island Princess to Hawaii? Opinions?

Finally: Based on weather during crossing, what months are best?

My travel agent watches for "cruise specials" for us. They had a block of rooms on the Radiance and she knew this would be my "dream" trip. She explained this would be a sell-out cruise so I jumped on it without asking hubby. (by the way, he was NOT the least bit upset). Anyway - we had our choice of aft cabins, but after sailing the Jewel 10-day out of Boston in October I knew better than book an aft with 4 sea days coming and going. We are not prone to seasickness and I'm not going to tempt fate on this cruise. BUT going from Boston to the Caribbean was terrible for the first sea day - so much so that there were few people walking around. When we went to the captain's party that evening on the aft of the ship I was thankful I was not back there - it was just rocking and rolling. Taking into account the Pacific in early May - I said no way to aft - give me my center balcony and I'll be just fine.

Can't believe it's just around the corner - final payment is made and we're ready to pack.

Archived