car rental question

jmarks

Our cruise ship disembarks in Whittier, and from there we will need to get to Homer, where we would like to sightsee a bit, park the car, and the water taxi from the lodge we are staying will pick us up. A few days later we will be returning from Homer and our flight leaves from Anchorage. The drop off charge is hefty, and I'm wondering if it might just be easier to take the transfer to Anchorage from the ship, pick up the car, and then when we return we have no drop off charge. How long is the transfer from Whittier to Anchorage? Is it a hassle? We could also pick up the Car in Whittier, return it to Whittier, and take a shuttle over to Anchorage on the day we are leaving. Not knowing the logistics involved I'm not sure which approach to take. Any advice is welcome.

Your cruiseline will have airport bus shuttles available, which would be my suggestion. You should have no problem getting to Anchorage by 10-11 am, then you are at least a 4 hour drive to Homer. But you are backtracking the best scenery along the Arm. :) the cruiseline buses are about $45pp?? Hopefully some first hand infor will post?

Whittier/Anchorage 60 miles

Archived