Do Insurers Offer Nonmedical Travel Policies?

Hi Steve, 

We're considering the possibility of an April 2022 cruise to Italy and Greece on Oceania, traveling with an alumni group. Can we purchase a policy that will protect us if we miss the boat because of airport delays, COVID issues, etc.? (This has happened to us.) If so, what would be the approximate cost (range)?

If the cruise is cancelled, I'm assuming Oceania or the travel agent (GoNext) will refund our money or give us FCC. We will be 85 and 81 next April , so I also assume that medical insurance is not an option. 

Many thanks for sharing your expertise. 

3 hours ago, Rumpymuffin said:

Hi Steve, 

We're considering the possibility of an April 2022 cruise to Italy and Greece on Oceania, traveling with an alumni group. Can we purchase a policy that will protect us if we miss the boat because of airport delays, COVID issues, etc.? (This has happened to us.) If so, what would be the approximate cost (range)?

If the cruise is cancelled, I'm assuming Oceania or the travel agent (GoNext) will refund our money or give us FCC. We will be 85 and 81 next April , so I also assume that medical insurance is not an option. 

Many thanks for sharing your expertise. 

Hi Rumpymuffin,

> Can we purchase a policy that will protect us if we miss the boat because of airport delays, COVID issues, etc.?

Airport delays are tricky. If it's due to a government action, including security screening delays, it's usually not covered. Delays from strikes and bad weather can be covered. For Covid or other medical reasons, if you get it and are delayed due to being medically quarantined or needing treatment you likely will be covered, depending on the policy wording.

> If so, what would be the approximate cost (range)?

I'm happy to help you, but I need to find out more information to give you the right advice. I'd need the following:
- What State do you live in?
- What are your travel dates?
- What's your full per person prepaid non-refundable trip cost (not an average)? 
- When will you pay the first payment on your trip?

If you don't want to post this info in a public forum, you may email it to me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com. With your permission I'll add the approximate cost range to this thread.

Steve Dasseos