Cheap Transportation on St. Thomas

Brianinidaho

Big Sky - Magens Bay is not on the pubic bus route, so no you can not use the dollar rides or public transportation to get there.

--Islander

Let's say I'm very atheletic and I'm up for a good hike. How close can I get on public transportation? What kind of hike would I look forward to if I wanted to make my way to Megan's bay beach?

Hello Big Sky Country,

Hmmm, closest you could get would be Donoe Bypass area I think... like by Home Depot or maybe a bit further up the road. This would be around 4 miles from Magens Bay. The route I am thinking is Donoe, Wintberg, Mandahl, Mahogany Run, Magens... of which about .5 miles of the 4 miles is flat. Basically the hike would be up and downhill with variations in the steepness. Bring a lot of water as there are no stores along the route until Mandahl where there is a small grocery store. And then the next place with available drinks would be the Dairy stand which is just before Magens Bay and then Magens has food/drinks.

I don't know if the buses or dollar rides go as far as Skyline Dr. turn off... beginning of Wintberg... if they do this would get you a bit closer.

--Islander

Hello Big Sky Country,

Hmmm, closest you could get would be Donoe Bypass area I think... like by Home Depot or maybe a bit further up the road. This would be around 4 miles from Magens Bay. The route I am thinking is Donoe, Wintberg, Mandahl, Mahogany Run, Magens... of which about .5 miles of the 4 miles is flat. Basically the hike would be up and downhill with variations in the steepness. Bring a lot of water as there are no stores along the route until Mandahl where there is a small grocery store. And then the next place with available drinks would be the Dairy stand which is just before Magens Bay and then Magens has food/drinks.

I don't know if the buses or dollar rides go as far as Skyline Dr. turn off... beginning of Wintberg... if they do this would get you a bit closer.

--Islander

Great information. Thank you. I'm surprised it would be that far since the entire island is 4 miles wide.

• 2 weeks later...

Magaens bay is on the other side of the island. We rented an Avis car one time, for about $35 and drove over there. Went to the airport to get the car. Be careful, they drive on the other side of the road! Fun Island, and M.B. is really neat.

Hi,

We're cruising on Adventure of the Seas - Royal. The itinerary says we dock at Charlotte Amalie. These postings talking about catching the bus from Havensight. Is this the same port as Charlotte Amalie? I looked at a map & notice they are not in exactly the same location, but wasn't sure if Royal just says we dock at Charlotte Amalie - or if there are 2 port locations.

We'd love to take the bus that's been described here, but just want to be sure it's the same dock.

We're first time cruisers so thanks for any help!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Havensight is the area the WICO dock is in and also the name of the shopping area right there. The harbor (which is where the dock is located) is called Charlotte Amalie as is the downtown area.

There are two docks (Havensight and Crown Bay) and some ships do remain at anchorage in the Charlotte Amalie harbor with the passengers tendered right to downtown Charlotte Amalie waterfront.

--Islander

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

Havensight is the area the WICO dock is in and also the name of the shopping area right there. The harbor (which is where the dock is located) is called Charlotte Amalie as is the downtown area.

There are two docks (Havensight and Crown Bay) and some ships do remain at anchorage in the Charlotte Amalie harbor with the passengers tendered right to downtown Charlotte Amalie waterfront.

--Islander

Correct. the dollar busses are not far from the downtown port.

It might have already been answered but I didn't want to read three pages:o ....We will be on the triumph and docking in st thomas on may 22nd. Does the public transportation go to Coral World? and also we know to walk towards Kmart but which direction is it? Do you have to make any turns?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Hi-

How long will it take to get to Red Hook from the tender drop off area in CA with 8 ships in port? Can we catch the bus from there? Also wondering how dependable the ferry to St John is from CA? Thank you so much- your information is wonderful!

acwillie - to late but the answer to your question is the public bus route does pass the road to Coki/Coral World. You'd have to get off on the main road and walk about .5 mile to the beach/Coral World. The area you'd walk through is a bit seedy.

Chazalez - CA to Red Hook takes about 25 minutes in low/medium traffic. How much longer because of 8 ships in port is hard to say, but it will likely take longer. Public bus route passes through downtown Charlotte Amalie. The ferry to St. John from Charlotte Amalie is dependable when its running, it sometimes alters its schedule cutting out some of its departures so you should check the schedule just before going on your cruise to double check its departure times.

--Islander

• 1 month later...
Even if you take a more expensive taxi it might get stuck in traffic like to bus because there is one main road to some of the popular places and "traffic is as traffic does" so it flows the same.

I noticed there were people asking questions about taxis. This is a great, cheap alternative.

This Dollar Taxi seems great. My only concern is When do they stop running? And how often do they come back returning to Kmart? Do they pick us up were they drop us off? We want to spend as much time as possible at the beach. Maybe head bck to te ship about 4pm. Is that going to be to late? Will we have to wait a long time? Or do they run pretty steady? And until what time? So I had more than 1 concern. Sorry

This Dollar Taxi seems great. My only concern is When do they stop running? And how often do they come back returning to Kmart? Do they pick us up were they drop us off? We want to spend as much time as possible at the beach. Maybe head bck to te ship about 4pm. Is that going to be to late? Will we have to wait a long time? Or do they run pretty steady? And until what time? So I had more than 1 concern. Sorry

This is the primary way many locals get around the island so it runs early morning to way past your 4 pm deadline. They run all the time, and seem pretty consistent. All transportation (taxis) face the delays with traffic jams, but just plan an extra 20 or 30 minutes to get back and you should be fine.

Getting off the ferry from Red Hook, it was intersting to see the obvious cruise ship passengers walk toward the expensive taxis on the left, and the obvious locals walk straight out to the road to the dollar bus pick up. We just followed the locals and saved a ton, and got back at the same time! (we saw one of the riders!).

we are on mariner of the seas coming up and will be docking. where would we catch the $ bus to get to american yacht harbor? i know we did it a few years ago but can't remember what we did. i know we didn't take a $10 taxi though. thank you

we are on mariner of the seas coming up and will be docking. where would we catch the $ bus to get to american yacht harbor? i know we did it a few years ago but can't remember what we did. i know we didn't take a $10 taxi though. thank you
unsure... perhaps someone who has done this recently can post

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just back walk to kmart 1/2 mile, dollar ride stops right there. We went to sapphire for 2 bucks each way. The driver will drop you off at the driveway to the beach. we were there about 2 hrs before the other cruise people. on total wait time 2min at kmart and 5min to get the ride back we spent $10 both ways for 2 of us and had a great time.

• 2 months later...

Archived