Cheap Transportation on St. Thomas

Brianinidaho

Interested in the response to this as well. I see you r going on theLiberty, going on the Eastern Caribbean on the Liberty in March and going to Coral World as well so please post about your experience doing this :D . Enjoy your cruise :)

When we were on the buss we just asked one of the locals what stop to get off for Sapphire beach. She was very nice and told us she was getting off at the same stop. But I would just ask the people you are sitting by. There wasn't any sign for Sapphire beach.

Yes the $2 "bus" option is not for those wanting to catch a ferry out of Red Hook as they will undoubtedly be taking a later ferry and lose precious time on STJ. But it is a good way to take a ride around the East End or get to a beach if onw isn't worried about time.nThere is a sign for the Sapphire Resort at the entrance but you won't see it until you are upon it but as stated just tell the driver and others will help as you get close.

Just so there are no misunderstandings - regarding the local safari vans that are being discussed on this thread as “cheap transportation”. The local safari vans look very similar to the tourist safari vans. Transportation by local safari is not like taking a taxi (or a tourist safari) and being taken directly to your destination. The local safari vehicles make a loop around the east end of St. Thomas on the main road only. Coki Beach and Coral World are on a side road on a point of land about ¼ to ½ mile from where the local safari vans let you off. It is a long, hot – let me re-emphasize that – HOT walk that most visitors to St. Thomas would not enjoy, especially those with children in tow.

For those skeptical of my motives, I have no financial interest in either the taxi or the safari business on St. Thomas. I want all visitors here to have a safe, happy and truly enjoyable stay. :)

Agreed, I've seen several families and couples standing at the top of the Sapphire entrance sweltering in the heat and waiting while several taxis are parked at the resort. I almost offered a couple a ride but they walked back down and grabbed a taxi. Some folks do get the impression these are "real" buses and bus systems similar to other destinations like Cancun and Puerto Vallarta Mexico, Georgetown Grand Cayman, and Aruba. But St Thomas with all of the cruisers traveling the island does not have that type of infrastructure. But as stated this is a good transportation for the right ppl that are not concerned about speed.

Well, this thread is titled "cheap transportation..." rather than "fast, reliable transportation..." :) although Livingthelife may well be right. But I've been researching this and other threads and so far haven't heard any real horror stories of people who have tried this and been sorry they did. We will be allowing ourselves plenty of time in the afternoon to catch the ferry from St. John and get back to the ship, regardless of taxi method, so we're hoping that will provide us a cushion to try this, at least on the way there. If we feel it slows us down, we may pop for a taxi on the way back.

And I guess it depends on your financial situation how you view the savings. Yes, we could afford this cruise, but for the 4 of us to do this $2 method vs a $10-$12 taxi ride is a difference of $64-$80, which is still a lot of money to us. Not a couple of bucks. Hunting for bargains like this for the 25 years of our marriage is what has allowed us to afford a cruise like this to be honest!

Finally, part of what we really like when traveling is to experience the daily life of the locals and to get a feel of the flavor & spirit of the community. To us, that is a big part of "all that St. Thomas has to offer."

Not trying to argue, just figuring that those reading this thread might be pondering both philosophies, as we have, and want to hear the reasons why we are going to give this a try.

We do this in grand cayman as well and its awesome and actually doesnt cost us time cuz we dont have to wait for a taxi to fill with 20 people before we can leave

We do this in grand cayman as well and its awesome and actually doesnt cost us time cuz we dont have to wait for a taxi to fill with 20 people before we can leave

There is an excellent bus system on Grand Cayman Sheila, many islands have that, STT is not one of them.

I lived in St Thomas for a year when I was 18 and riding the local bus is not what I will be doing on vacation LOL I want all the time at Sapphire Beach I can get!!

The Bus in Grand Cayman is very different we do use it.

Now I see you know the difference - lol!

Archived