westiegirl

Westiegirl

Hi I wonder if anyone can please give me some advice. Ourselves and 4 friends are booked on the Statendam for the Australia/New Zealand cruise in November. I keep reading about the possibility of bad weather in the Tasman Sea, and since one of our party is not a very good sailor, I am a little anxious. If it is that bad we can possibly all be a little under the weather. My point is that we have booked outside cabins at the front of the ship, is this a big mistake and should I try to change. Thank you.:confused:

Seastate is always a crapshoot - you never know what you will get.

The Tasman has a reputation for being rough - we've crossed it three times, and it has been smooth every time. Just luck of the draw, I suppose.

If you hit rough seas, movement is more pronounced at the front - midships is generally smoother.

We were on a sister of Statendam, the Maasdam, on a fairly rough trans-Atlantic, 11-95. We were forward on Main deck - our cabin and some dozen others flooded to a depth of about 6 inches when water entered the hull via the hawsepipe (anchor chainway). Luckily, there were empty cabins available, and we were moved.

Travel can be an adventure.

Archived