80s and comedy - Princess tries to get into the themed cruising game

Honolulu Blue

Finally Princess reveals more about their Hollywood Insiders themed cruises on their page at Themed Cruises – On Board Special Events - Princess Cruises .

There's a 5-day cruise from Vancouver that features 80s prime time stars - the highlighted celebs are all from "Dallas" the TV show.  Then there's a 3-day cruise from Seattle that features people that work behind the scenes of movies and TV (mostly makeup and special effects.  Finally, there's a 7-day cruise from LA that features those with music connections.  We've got some performers (Freda Payne, Kimberly Locke, former Beach Boy Al Jardin); Allan Dennis Smith, award-nominated songwriter; and old friend Leo Rossi, who worked on and managed tours for Fleetwood Mac and many others.  I got a chance to hear some of Mr. Rossi's stories on my most recent cruise on the Ruby in April.

IMG_20230413_100028.thumb.jpg.79ac1da77d6ed525ff0509b526e8368b.jpg

Tempting, but I think I'm going to pass on all of these.  Come on guys, where are the straight 80s cruises I'm craving???

• 2 weeks later...

Princess did a press release on the various Hollywood Insider cruises.  The full link is at https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/hooray-hollywood-princess-cruises-roll-out-red-carpet-three .  I'll quote the Music Connection cruise portion, since that's of most interest to me:

Hollywood Insider: Music Connection
Discovery Princess, October 21-28, 2023
7-day Classic California Coast from Los Angeles
Calling all music-lovers! Sail the coast of California on this specially-themed cruise featuring some of the music industry's most talented lyricists, vocalists, and more. Roundtrip from LA and visiting San Francisco, San Diego and Ensenada, this cruise features special vocal performances, meet & greets, speaker events and more from guests including:

• Allan Dennis Rich, two-time Oscar®, Grammy®, Golden Globe® and Emmy®-nominated songwriter whose songs have sold more than 65 million copies worldwide, most notably Whitney Houston's "Run to You" from The Bodyguard hit soundtrack, James Ingrams' "I Don't Have the Heart," and Natalie Cole's "I Live for Your Love."
  • Freda Payne, American singer & actress best known as one of the legendary Supremes and as a solo artist for her 1970 hit single "Band of Gold."
  • Al Jardine, an American musician and original co-founder of The Beach Boys, best known as the band's rhythm guitarist and singing lead vocals on hit singles such as "Help Me Rhonda."
  • Kimberley Locke, American singer-songwriter and television personality who gained fame with her participation in the 2003 fan favorite American Idol reality TV vocal competition.
  • Leo Rossi, former Fleetwood Mac tour director and road crew member for Led Zeppelin, The Who, Al Jarreau, Chaka Khan, and more.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 1:29 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

Holland America announced some special culinary cruises for 2023.  These will feature "coffee chats" with the celebrity chefs, cooking demonstrations (with free recipes provided), and special reservation-only dinners at various of HAL's specialty restaurants.  You can read the full details, such that we know, at https://www.cruisehive.com/holland-america-line-extends-culinary-cruise-program/93880 .

Here are the foodie cruises:

• Ethan Sowell, Konigsdam, 35-day Hawaii & South Pacific, February 18-March 25
  • Andy Matsuda, Nieuw Amsterdam, 14-day Alaska, May 7-21
  • David Burke, Eurodam, 20-day Panama Canal, April 9-29
  • Jacques Torres, Zaandam, 11-day Atlantic Coast, April 18-29
  • Rudi Sodamin, Nieuw Statendam, 14-day Northern Isles, June 18-July 2

If you're a fan of one or more of these chefs, this seems to be a great opportunity to get to know them and their work in much greater detail.  Have fun!

Anyone know if there will be a Jacqes Torres cruise again in 2024/2025?

1 hour ago, RCNigam said:

Anyone know if there will be a Jacqes Torres cruise again in 2024/2025?

A quick look at https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/specialty-cruises/culinary-cruises doesn't show any cruises for 2024 or 2025. Probably not announced yet. I'm rooting for you. 🙏

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nathan Diller of USA Today did a review of Princess' recent Magic Castle Conjurer's Cruise.  TL,DR:  He liked it, and other magic fans would probably have liked it.  The review is at https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2023/10/23/princess-cruises-magic-castle-cruise/71218927007/ .

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Princess continues to ignore my desire for 80s themed cruises 🤬, but they did introduce a Love Boat cruise that will be departing in August 2024.  Details are in their press release:  Princess Cruises Announces The Love Boat Themed Cruise with Iconic Original Cast (prnewswire.com) .

We booked a Princess Canada/New England cruise for this fall right before this got announced.  I did pause for a minute and think "should I switch the week?" but I think we'll be keeping our original reservation.  My husband isn't as into this and I didn't really want to go over Labor Day.  I'm still kind of tempted and definitely would not have been upset to find out this was scheduled for our week. 

• Thanks 1