Madeira "Travel & Entry Requirements"

annandme

Hello,

Our upcoming cruise on the Marina stops at Madeira, Portugal and the Oceania website, "Travel & Entry Requirements" PDF says,

"PORTUGAL, MADEIRA AND THE AZORES - All travelers must complete an online PLF prior to entering Portugal and undergo PCR testing 72 hours prior to arrival or antigen testing 48 hours prior to arrival. The Portuguese PLF can be found here: https://portugalcleanandsafe.pt/en/passenger-locator-card"

Clicking on the Passenger Locator Form (PLF) link, the form asks for my airline plus flight number and entering anything else results in an error message which stops me from going any further.  Simply put, I have not found any way to enter that we are arriving by cruise ship and am now stuck. 

Has anyone successfully figured out what is needed in order to complete this PLF?

Perhaps my husband and I are on the same cruise that you are on. Next month we leave on the MARINA from Barcelona with the first stop being Funchal three days later. I certainly read the same information that you have about a PLF being necessary for entrance to Portugal and its territories. Yes, the form and the information provided all refer to air travel. My hope is that when Oceania sends out the final boarding information your question, and I'm sure many other questions concerning international cruise travel during the time of COVID will be answered in the forthcoming information. Your other option is calling the Portuguese Embassy or Consulates for clarification. 

16 hours ago, Calliope said:

Perhaps my husband and I are on the same cruise that you are on. Next month we leave on the MARINA from Barcelona with the first stop being Funchal three days later. I certainly read the same information that you have about a PLF being necessary for entrance to Portugal and its territories. Yes, the form and the information provided all refer to air travel. My hope is that when Oceania sends out the final boarding information your question, and I'm sure many other questions concerning international cruise travel during the time of COVID will be answered in the forthcoming information. Your other option is calling the Portuguese Embassy or Consulates for clarification. 

Thanks.  Yes...that's the cruise. 

I hadn't counted on dealing with Portuguese travel restrictions on top of everything else.  Plus, it seems like a lot of work (antigen test plus vague PLF form that can only be submitted within 48 hours before arrival) for only a few hours in port and the "privilege" of being allowed to only take overpriced ship's tours.  Maybe it would just be easier to get a glass of Madeira in the lounge.

• Like 1

So my wife and I are on the same Barcelona to Miami cruise.  I have been looking for more information because of what was posted above. 

I did find this site.    

http://www.visitmadeira.pt/en-gb/useful-info/corona-virus-(covid-19)/information-covid-19

Look at section 9.  

The way I read this is if your vaccinated, cruise ship passengers do not need any additional testing.  

As for the PLF I'm not sure yet if we need to complete that.  I am sure that O will give us more information on the requirements.  But since this is my first O cruise, I have no base of knowledge to speak from. I will keep looking.  The 12 to 48 hours requirement may be difficult at sea.  

And since I have never been to this port before, I would really like to go ashore and do a tour just to see something.  

I think Portugal dropped the pre-arrival testing requirement for fully vaccinated arrivals just this week.  The requirements now have an OR (PCR test OR antigen test OR fully vaccinated) for arrivals from *most* countries.   The PLF is likely still required, as in many European countries; I suspect Oceania will help sort that out on board, at least providing instructions.

19 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

I think Portugal dropped the pre-arrival testing requirement for fully vaccinated arrivals just this week.  The requirements now have an OR (PCR test OR antigen test OR fully vaccinated) for arrivals from *most* countries.   The PLF is likely still required, as in many European countries; I suspect Oceania will help sort that out on board, at least providing instructions.

Hopefully, we'll see this reflected in the next update of Oceania's "Travel & Entry Requirements" PDF, too.

Here's the October 13 version of Oceania's "Travel & Entry Requirements" PDF for Madiera,

"PORTUGAL, MADEIRA AND THE AZORES All travelers must complete an online PLF prior to entering Portugal and undergo PCR testing 72 hours prior to arrival or antigen testing 48 hours prior to arrival. The Portuguese PLF can be found here:

https://portugalcleanandsafe.pt/en/passenger-locator-card

TOURING ASHORE IN PORTUGAL
As of the date of this communication, October 13, 2021, local regulations in Portugal governing cruise ship travel require all guests going ashore in Funchal, Madeira to do so on a cruise line-organized excursion. No independent touring is permitted. We remain hopeful that these regulations will be amended or relaxed prior to our port calls in Portuguese territories and we will communicate any updates or revisions to this policy if and when received."

Still no movement on Oceania's part.

Again, this just goes to show how much things are changing and how accurate information is so scarce.  I did look at the October 13 version of Oceania's "Travel & Entry Requirements" PDF for Madiera.  However, here is the link to the Maderia government web page on Covid. 

https://www.madeira.gov.pt/Covid19/DecisoesExcecionaisCovid19

After Google translate and much digging around you will find under the "Air and Maritime Mobility" section, the following exceptions to the Covid testing and or isolation.  

b) Travelers who are in possession of a medical document certifying that the bearer has recovered from the COVID-19 disease when disembarking in the territory of the Autonomous Region of Madeira, issued in the last 180 days, or a document certifying that the bearer has been vaccinated against COVID-19, in accordance with the recommended plan and respecting the activation period of the immune system provided for in the Summary of Product Characteristics (SPC); 

Obviously, this is from the government website and should prevail but since we are on an O ship we will have to do what they say.  5 plus weeks away and a lot can change in that time.  I just hope we are informed enough just before to complete any requirements or better yet, since we are all vaccinated that we don't have to do any testing or fill out any more forms, ect.  

• Thanks 1