Splendour of the Sea 2/13-2/18 mini review

Just got home and WOW. That's pretty much it. My only comparison is to the Carnival Ecstasy and after that boat I had said I would never cruise again. But after the splendour, we are already planning a cruise at the end of november. I will put a more detailed review out later because right now I have the post cruise land issues with everything still moving as if I am still on the boat..

It was a great week, great weather, tendering in Carmen was a breeze. Costa Maya was good too....

more too come

Ok here is the skinny...

BOARDING:

We arrived in galveston at 1 so went and ate at FISH TALES on the sea wall in galveston... Great food.

Got to the ship around 2:15 or so and were on within 30 minutes... Very easy...

DINING: 3 out of 5 stars, basically comparable to Bennegins or Fridays. Any of the dining options were tasty. **AVOID** biscuits and gravy at the windjammer for breakfast... I don't know what the problem was there but 2 days in a row they were cold.

ENTERTAINMENT: Pretty good. The main shows were enjoyable and there was always something to do onboard. I myself did not do a lot a my goal was to relax and not try to hit everything on the itenerary.

PORTS:

- Playa Del Carmen -

This place is beautiful and tendering was a breeze. We did the beach break and in hind sight I would have just went and found a beach to sit on. For 40 bucks plus the price of a meal, I did not drink 40 bucks worth of drinks. Money wise you can fare better buying drinks and food on any of the other beaches. The shopping is typical Mexico shopping, all the shops are duplicates of each other. All prices are ngotiable, if not, move to another shop.

- Costa Maya -

A port built by the cruise lines... First thing you do, get a ride and leave the main shopping area as this is shopping for cruisers only and prices on stuff is far cheaper out side of here. Goto Muahual (spelling?) It is a fishing village but we found dresses for our daughters for half price of what they were at the main port or in Playa Del Carmen for that matter.

Summary - Both ports are beautiful and offer as much or as little as you want to do.

THE SHIP:

A lovely ship. The colors and decor are very muted. Just much more refined than the last boat I was on which was the Ecstasy. All of the art deco and loud colors on that boat were not relaxing. This ship just had a relaxed feel which was lacking on the ecstasy.

THE EXIT:

This was about average as compared to my last experience, we were off of the ship around 10 and though customs by 10:30. I do like that now CUSTOMS and IMMIGRATION are the same person. This helped keep things moving at a decent pace. The exit is all in your frame of mind.. if you are in a hurry to get off you will be frustrated. If you get up, have some breakfast, coffee, etc... The time will go by a lot easier..

This is not the wordiest of reviews but somethings you have to just find out. There is nothing I would you must avoid other than the ART AUCTIONS. We made the mistake of going to one on Carnival, the same company is on Royal Caribbean, I found the experience to be annoying and boring. We did not make the same mistake on this cruise.

Just have a good time and don't worry about doing everything on the daily compass...

-PK

Favorite place was the windjammer and solarium... I'm not a multi course kind of person though... just let me refuel and be on my way

Cozumel was changed at the last minute to carmen due to cozumel being over crowded with ships due to a number of other boats being redirected there due to weather in the caymens and such (just what I heard)

I liked Carmen but prefer Cozumel because I have a favorite resturant there called Panchos back yard or something like that...

Archived