Caribbean Quarantine

Mrs Wally

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Hello. Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your kind comments, I am glad you have found my information raising awareness on the insurance issue helpful.  I am still discussing things with P&O but basically the information they have provided is that no passengers have been out of pocket as a result of being offloaded.  As long as your purchased insurance meets their criteria (which yours most certainly does) if problems are encountered with offloading you will be assisted.  What is meant by case by case has arisen due the different ways insurance companies have reacted. Some have accepted full responsibility immediately, some have agreed partial settlement and some have refused any claim liability at all.  I have no idea which companies fall into which category I'm afraid.  However the important thing is not to stress about the costs involved.  We have been assured that if passengers offloaded with negative tests have insurance policies which do not cover them P&O will assist and as stated no one will be out of pocket.

There have been very few incidents on P&O since restart but wherever possible close contacts of positive testers have been kept on board in quarantine cabins.  It is only some limited ports insisting of debarking and these are beyond the cruise line's control and I do feel therefore, that you need not worry too much about this insurance aspect. 

Regarding your complex health needs I am sure P&O would take these into account if you found yourself in difficulty.  The only thing you would need to consider is that quarantine either on or off the ship most likely would mean isolation away from all other people including your support team.  As long as you would be comfortable with this and discuss it with all concerned you should be fine.  

You do not say when and where you are travelling to/from. One thing that many posters on the boards with health conditions or disabilities are seriously considering is if they are able or would want to fly in the event of being offloaded. This is of course something only you and your travelling companions can decide on.  Please do bear in mind when considering this issue that you would almost certainly be offloaded if you test positive for Covid, particularly in light of your health conditions as P&O would want to ensure your safety.

It is, I appreciate, an extremely stressful time with all these new variants and a bombardment of information from lots of different sources, including from me!  Please ignore the constant stream of those looking to scaremonger in newspapers and particularly on social media.  Once you have weighed up how you feel and your options be it moving to a different date in the future (P&O are now booking into early 2024 so plenty of options available if you feel more comfortable doing that) or going ahead with your current plans you will I'm sure have a wonderful cruise.

I see it's your first, you'll find them quite addictive!

Hi Megabear2, 

thank you so much for your response, it’s really put my mind at ease, I was on the verge of rebooking to a later date I was so concerned.

My first cruise will be in July on Iona to the Norwegian Fjords, I’ve not been abroad in 15 years so I am more than excited! I’ve also booked the following July to do the Baltic on Britannia, all setting out from Southampton. I just hope I’m not sea sick lol, I’ve booked midship so fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hysteria247 said:

Hi Megabear2, 

thank you so much for your response, it’s really put my mind at ease, I was on the verge of rebooking to a later date I was so concerned.

My first cruise will be in July on Iona to the Norwegian Fjords, I’ve not been abroad in 15 years so I am more than excited! I’ve also booked the following July to do the Baltic on Britannia, all setting out from Southampton. I just hope I’m not sea sick lol, I’ve booked midship so fingers crossed. 

Hi Winkle we are on Iona Feb first time cruise for the wife, after Megabear2 has doggedly pursued answers about negative offload we are in a much happier place and looking forward to cruise. providing covid doesn't change things. Take Care   

• Like 2