Caribbean Quarantine

Mrs Wally

I have enquired via my T A about this only last week and p&o confirmed that in the Caribbean the decision as to whether you were permitted to remain in isolation on the ship or be offloaded into a quarantine hotel would be made by the next port of call post isolation, so in effect if you were isolated on a Sunday and Monday you docked in Antigua it would be at the discretion of the Antigua port authorities if you remained onboard or offloaded.  At which point P&O would no longer assist in your onward journey home, their response was that you would need to speak to your insurer's to arrange payment for the quarantine hotel and your repatriation to the UK and this would be the same circumstances if you had tested positive or were isolating as a close contact of another passenger who was positive. Huge concern in the Caribbean islands when a lot of airlines are not currently offering direct flights to UK airports (my flight is from Manchester) you could very well end up having to take a number of connecting flights just to get back home which to me is not what I would deem to be a relaxing holiday experience! I wonder if these same rules apply to quarantined crew as well as passengers. I asked if we could be provided with a list of which Caribbean islands would insist on offloading and which would permit you to remain in on board quaranteening and was advised that they simply didn't know......I am sure they are fully aware of exactly which islands would insist on offloading but they dare not publish this information as part of their port protocols or I am sure many people would vote with their feet and cancel holidays for sure. 

• Like 1

Due to the uncertainty with regards to passengers being quarantined I contacted my insurance company (Staysure) who according to their advertising give Covid cover on their policies. I was somewhat alarmed with their reply. It goes as such " We only cover for isolation and not for quarantine by port authorities or the cruise line" In other words if you are put ashore at the request of the local authorities or by P&O you are not covered for this expense. However due to what I understand to have been cases of Covid where passengers are quarantined ashore in hotels P&O are supposed to be looking into this at the highest level and those that it has already affected have been helped by P&O's care team. Whether this is financially or otherwise I am unclear. I have posted an email to P&O requesting an answer but apparently they are inundated with questions regarding this very subject as many will be like you and I. Concerned about the many implications it poses should the worst happen.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mrs Wally said:

I have enquired via my T A about this only last week and p&o confirmed that in the Caribbean the decision as to whether you were permitted to remain in isolation on the ship or be offloaded into a quarantine hotel would be made by the next port of call post isolation, so in effect if you were isolated on a Sunday and Monday you docked in Antigua it would be at the discretion of the Antigua port authorities if you remained onboard or offloaded.  At which point P&O would no longer assist in your onward journey home, their response was that you would need to speak to your insurer's to arrange payment for the quarantine hotel and your repatriation to the UK and this would be the same circumstances if you had tested positive or were isolating as a close contact of another passenger who was positive. Huge concern in the Caribbean islands when a lot of airlines are not currently offering direct flights to UK airports (my flight is from Manchester) you could very well end up having to take a number of connecting flights just to get back home which to me is not what I would deem to be a relaxing holiday experience! I wonder if these same rules apply to quarantined crew as well as passengers. I asked if we could be provided with a list of which Caribbean islands would insist on offloading and which would permit you to remain in on board quaranteening and was advised that they simply didn't know......I am sure they are fully aware of exactly which islands would insist on offloading but they dare not publish this information as part of their port protocols or I am sure many people would vote with their feet and cancel holidays for sure. 

As the Caribbean season has only just started there have not as far as we know been any Covid cases onboard Britannia - Azura of course has not sailed yet to the Caribbean.  P&O have confirmed from the CEO office that they have no control over ports insisting on removal of passengers into quarantine anywhere in the world.  They are also aware that there is no travel insurance in the UK market which guarantees to cover these eventualities although Allianz has indicated to holders of certain bank accounts that they will cover both eventualities.  If you read the somewhat long Covid on Iona pages on this forum you will see the upto date situation.

I can confirm I was informed last week that an announcement on this issue was imminent.  I note your TA has been told P&O will basically abandon you.  To date in the two instances where insurance has failed for guests offloaded they have assisted.  This question of the Caribbean is one we are pressing on.  It is correct that no one knows which ports are insisting on offloading I'm afraid.  We are building a pattern in Europe but thankfully to date no one has been taken poorly in the Caribbean.  There are as you say a large number of islands with no flights to the UK - Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Dominica, St Kitts, St Vincent, St Maarten, Tortola, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Grenada and Tobago do not even in normal times fly direct to the UK and they are on the itineraries for the P&O ships.

If you are travelling soon I would suggest going back to your T/A and giving them the details in the Covid on Iona pages, particularly those regarding the insurance and ask that they go back to P&O and point out that the CEO office is aware of this dubious situation.  I do have a direct contact at P&O CEO office and I will chase for the update that is apparently due.  

For my part I have cancelled my 28 day Caribbean cruise for January 2022 and moved another to late December 2022.

I'm sorry I cannot be more positive. The facts are that any passenger travelling on a cruise to any destination has to accept there is a small risk they may be offloaded if they are tested positive or are negative but considered a close contact. The most we can hope for is a protocol change where P&O will accept responsibility to ensure passengers are not out of pocket and will be looked after.

Edited by Megabear2
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mrs Wally said:

Thanks very much for this information, I am very pleased that we have moved our Jan 22 cruise to the Caribbean to 2023 now. 

Yes - all meeting rules of the Caribbean islands. P&O's only requirement is the LFT before boarding.

If you are on a no-fly cruise to the Caribbean, I believe you have to have a PCR test on board, with results known before arriving in to your half-way stop - be it Maderia, Azores, canaries etc. Any positive cases are then debarked in that island stop.

4 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

P&O's only requirement is the LFT before boarding.

I may have misunderstood,  but don't P&O require a negative PCR test as well, three days or less before arriving at the airport ?

40 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Yes - all meeting rules of the Caribbean islands. P&O's only requirement is the LFT before boarding.

If you are on a no-fly cruise to the Caribbean, I believe you have to have a PCR test on board, with results known before arriving in to your half-way stop - be it Maderia, Azores, canaries etc. Any positive cases are then debarked in that island stop.

I assume everyone was clear on Britannia's crossing, although there was a rumour on the Covid on Iona pages of people being disembarked (from the rumour mill on FB I believe)?

A correction regarding the no-fly requirement:

For guests setting sail in Southampton, you will complete a complimentary antigen test at the terminal and must pay for a PCR test on board at a cost of £25 within three days prior to arrival in Barbados.

38 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I may have misunderstood,  but don't P&O require a negative PCR test as well, three days or less before arriving at the airport ?

P&O don't require this. Barbados require this.

Barbados require the airline to confirm all passengers are negative before landing. If the airline can't do this, Barbados reserve the right not to clear the passengers for entry, keep them on the plane and return them straight back.

29 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

A correction regarding the no-fly requirement:

For guests setting sail in Southampton, you will complete a complimentary antigen test at the terminal and must pay for a PCR test on board at a cost of £25 within three days prior to arrival in Barbados.

P&O don't require this. Barbados require this.

Barbados require the airline to confirm all passengers are negative before landing. If the airline can't do this, Barbados reserve the right not to clear the passengers for entry, keep them on the plane and return them straight back.

What if we are not getting off in Barbados? We plan to stay onboard and chill after the transatlantic crossing!

I’m hoping that P&O do a u-turn and follow the likes of Celebrity and RCI. They say if you get quarantined and have to be removed, they will pay for you and your party to quarantine/get home. However they also said they only remove passengers if they feel they require more medical assistance than is available on the ship. Which is the opposite of P&O who say the port dictate who is removed. 

Not sure who to believe!

1 minute ago, Glitterati said:

I’m hoping that P&O do a u-turn and follow the likes of Celebrity and RCI. They say if you get quarantined and have to be removed, they will pay for you and your party to quarantine/get home. However they also said they only remove passengers if they feel they require more medical assistance than is available on the ship. Which is the opposite of P&O who say the port dictate who is removed. 

Not sure who to believe!

The Celebrity RCI approach seems far more logical. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Not sure who to believe!

If the ports are dictating removal of Covid cases would Celebrity and RCI be allowed to keep positive cases onboard? 

2 hours ago, Glitterati said:

Not sure who to believe!

Not sure this is correct. 

P&O’s t&cs para 23…

. In addition, any Guest who, in the opinion of P&O Cruises and/or the Master and/or a member of ship’s medical staff, demonstrates the symptoms of a viral illness (including but not limited to Coronavirus (COVID-19)) may be disembarked by P&O Cruises without any further liability.

https://www.pocruises.com/legal-and-privacy/booking-terms-and-conditions

The right to remove has always been there, the Covid wording is newly added since the restart.  The "new problem" is the ports insisting on removal.  P&O are not alone in being caught out by this one, Marella and Fred have had recent problems.  The big difference with RCI/Celebrity is their confirmation that the passengers will not be financially liable for any costs of removal into quarantine and getting home.  P&O have already advised they will quarantine on board wherever they are allowed - passengers testing positive in Gibraltar were not offloaded.

At the end of the day if a port or country is determined that Covid passengers should be offloaded then there is nothing any cruise line can do to override that decision. I suspect RCI/Celebrity thought about the possibility before starting to sail internationally whereas P&O/Cunard were late in looking at the possibile problem.  They are, hopefully, on the case now and have confirmed that no one is out of pocket due to offloading.  The important thing is to keep the pressure on them to deal with this immediately.

At the end of the day it is for individuals to decide if they can risk quarantine ashore if the worst happens.  There is unfortunately no hard and fast rule for any voyage or ports, every sailing is different.   

Edited by Megabear2

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The right to remove has always been there, the Covid wording is newly added since the restart.  The "new problem" is the ports insisting on removal.  P&O are not alone in being caught out by this one, Marella and Fred have had recent problems.  The big difference with RCI/Celebrity is their confirmation that the passengers will not be financially liable for any costs of removal into quarantine and getting home.  P&O have already advised they will quarantine on board wherever they are allowed - passengers testing positive in Gibraltar were not offloaded.

At the end of the day if a port or country is determined that Covid passengers should be offloaded then there is nothing any cruise line can do to override that decision. I suspect RCI/Celebrity thought about the possibility before starting to sail internationally whereas P&O/Cunard were late in looking at the possibile problem.  They are, hopefully, on the case now and have confirmed that no one is out of pocket due to offloading.  The important thing is to keep the pressure on them to deal with this immediately.

At the end of the day it is for individuals to decide if they can risk quarantine ashore if the worst happens.  There is unfortunately no hard and fast rule for any voyage or ports, every sailing is different.   

Hi Megabear2. 

I must have missed this information but when did P&O confirm that no one will be out of pocket due to offloading? I thought that this was why they were insisting on everyone being insured. 

Jim

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Shouldn't the cruise industry as one be looking into this problem. Carnival consists of Royal Caribbean, Princess Cruises, Aida, Costa, Seaborne, Holland America, P&O & Cunard. Then there's all the others. You would think that instead of reacting individually they would react as one. With Carnival it seems pretty poor to me that although they are run as individual cruise lines their policy would be the same throughout the group.

7 minutes ago, free from work said:

Hi Megabear2. 

I must have missed this information but when did P&O confirm that no one will be out of pocket due to offloading? I thought that this was why they were insisting on everyone being insured. 

Jim

You need to refer to the Covid on Iona thread, where this issue has been discussed at length.  

4 minutes ago, free from work said:

Hi Megabear2. 

Jim

To me this is where the whole thing turns into a farce. They insist on you having insurance but almost to the man every insurance company don't cover for being quarantined in a country whether by the local authorities of that country or by P&O. They will cover you for isolation. But as far as I can make out this would only happen if you are isolated onboard. With Norovirus P&O recompensed us on a former cruise when my wife went down with it on the last day/night of the cruise. We received £100 back. So I don't know where the isolation insurance comes in.

4 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

To me this is where the whole thing turns into a farce. They insist on you having insurance but almost to the man every insurance company don't cover for being quarantined in a country whether by the local authorities of that country or by P&O. They will cover you for isolation. But as far as I can make out this would only happen if you are isolated onboard. With Norovirus P&O recompensed us on a former cruise when my wife went down with it on the last day/night of the cruise. We received £100 back. So I don't know where the isolation insurance comes in.

Once again, refer to the Covid on Iona thread,  where you will be able to see the correspondence Megabear has had with P&O about this very subject.

18 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Shouldn't the cruise industry as one be looking into this problem. Carnival consists of Royal Caribbean, Princess Cruises, Aida, Costa, Seaborne, Holland America, P&O & Cunard. Then there's all the others. You would think that instead of reacting individually they would react as one. With Carnival it seems pretty poor to me that although they are run as individual cruise lines their policy would be the same throughout the group.

It is the same throughout the Carnival group. RCI and Celebrity are a separate entity as is NCL.  FYI only RCI, Celebrity and Azamara have the comfort clause - I have read terms and conditions in detail for everyone from Silversea to Costa and some are even worse than Carnival group's.

Edited by Megabear2
Missed letters

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You need to refer to the Covid on Iona thread, where this issue has been discussed at length.  

I have been following the Covid on Iona thread and the great work by Megabear2. I thought the issue was passengers being offloaded and having to try and claim from their insurance which was falling short in some circumstances. 

Jim 

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

It is the same throught the Carnival group. RCI and Celebrity are a separate entity as is NCL.  FYI only RCI, Celebrity and Azamara have the comfort clause - I have read terms and conditions in detail for everyone from Silversea to Costa and some are even worse than Carnival group's.

I thought Seaborne were offering a guarantee as well  and they are owned by Carnival?

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought Seaborne were offering a guarantee as well  and they are owned by Carnival?

Seaborne offer some sort of "internal" insurance which effectively gives cover. It is not incorporated in their normal terms, or at least it wasnt five weeks ago when I read their contract. 

6 minutes ago, free from work said:

I have been following the Covid on Iona thread and the great work by Megabear2. I thought the issue was passengers being offloaded and having to try and claim from their insurance which was falling short in some circumstances. 

Jim 

Yes Jim, the insurance falls down on removal of passengers with a negative test and that is what we are asking P&O/Carnival companies to deal with.  They are aware you cannot insure for this scenario although it's only because I told them in late September.  Unfortunately they did not take it onboard until we had what I term the "Cadiz Situation". They have assured it is now high on the agenda and they will resolve it.

At present there is no protocol ruie for P&O/Cunard to assist the "uninsured" people financially with quarantine, testing, food, repatriation costs. They have however confirmed that those who have fallen foul of the port offloading situation are not out of pocket and they have assisted them.  We are asking the cruise lines to incorporate this help as a guarantee in their protocols to match RCI/Celebrity.

I hope this makes it clearer.

Passengers testing positive who are debarked are fully covered under the medical section of their insurance and have no financial liability aside from their policy excess.

Cruisemeister2002: if you and your wife test positive and are removed from the ship your insurance will cover you.  This is why it is essential to have the best possible policy you can buy - I recall you have Staysure and they are most certainly one of the best. If however one of you tests positive and the other doesn't only the positive test passenger will be paid out under the insurance policy.