COVID Testing Onboard - Specific Questions about Cunard

Desert Cruisers

Final payment for Spring 2022 is approaching.  I know that things could change by the time that we board.  But, I would like to better understand what we might have to do if the rules don't change.  We are sailing out of NY on the QM2 in early May.  I know that we may need a rapid antigen [known as lateral flow in the UK?] 2 days before boarding.  My questions pertain to the required testing as we travel around the UK and Europe.

1. When we dock in Southampton, we are going directly to the airport. After reading the current rules on the gov.uk website, it seems that we would be considered as being in transit [Day 0] and would be exempt from the Day 2 and Day 8 testing requirements. My confusion is that Passport Control processing has usually been done on the ship prior to arrival in the UK.  So, is Day 0 the day that our passports are checked onboard or is it the day that we dock in Southampton?
  2. Is Cunard offering onboard testing [possible at a charge] for passengers who require it prior to flying to another country?  We will be flying to Italy the same day that we arrive in Southampton and might need to do a rapid antigen test.
  3. We will be flying from Barcelona back to the UK 6 days before we board the QM2 back to the States.  If the rules hold, we will have to get a Day 2 test.  Will Cunard also require a test 2 days before boarding the ship or is the test done at the terminal the day of boarding?

We are hoping that, by the time that we sail, we will only need proof of vaccination.

Whilst it is always good to plan ahead  I think you are too early in asking 

these questions.  A recent  roll call  ( October-princess  uk - spain france italy)I was

following  they barely knew  anything for certain until 10-14 days before

they sailed. 

Covid is currently getting worse in europe  Austria are now making a rule

that ALL residents  HAVE to be vaccinated.  Maybe wait to see how things

develop  over winter.    

On 11/20/2021 at 2:40 AM, Desert Cruisers said:

Hi! We're looking forward to welcoming you back to the UK.

Answers in red:

1. When we dock in Southampton, we are going directly to the airport. After reading the current rules on the gov.uk website, it seems that we would be considered as being in transit [Day 0] and would be exempt from the Day 2 and Day 8 testing requirements. My confusion is that Passport Control processing has usually been done on the ship prior to arrival in the UK.  So, is Day 0 the day that our passports are checked onboard or is it the day that we dock in Southampton?

Correct, according to present rules you would be classified as 'in transit' due to the hours spent in the UK and would be exempt from Day 2 and Day 8 testing. It is likely to be passport control on debarking.

1. Is Cunard offering onboard testing [possible at a charge] for passengers who require it prior to flying to another country?  We will be flying to Italy the same day that we arrive in Southampton and might need to do a rapid antigen test.

They are offering testing for customers who require testing prior to debarking at the port scheduled only. Depending on the type of test required at that point, you may be able to use the result of the test taken onboard for onward travel. I would double-check what type of tests Cunard are providing. An alternative for you is to take a walk to the West Quay shopping centre, just a ten minute walk from the Southampton cruise terminal. West Quay has a rapid testing facility at the regenerative clinic which provide a same-day service, meaning you should be fine to board that flight to Italy.

1. We will be flying from Barcelona back to the UK 6 days before we board the QM2 back to the States.  If the rules hold, we will have to get a Day 2 test.  Will Cunard also require a test 2 days before boarding the ship or is the test done at the terminal the day of boarding?

Assuming you have checked with Cunard that travelling 6 days prior to embarkation in the UK is allowed, using the present rules, you may be asked to show Cunard the result of your Day 2 test, but they will perform an additional test before you board. So - make sure you get your own test on Day 2. This could be done at Southampton again, or elsewhere depending on where you are staying.

1. We are hoping that, by the time that we sail, we will only need proof of vaccination.

Here's hoping - but my understanding is that companies performing rapid antigen testing are part-owned by or are awarded large contracts by US and UK politicians. Don't expect testing to go away.

Usual disclaimer: these answers are provided as an opinion in response to your questions. Things are subject to change.

The UK government were reported to be thinking of dropping testing requirements next year. Then Omicron happened. Who knows what's next. The rules changed yesterday to 2 day mandatory self isolation then PCR test then remain in self isolation until negative result received traveller's from some countries need to quarantine. 

The only constant is nobody knows what the requirements will be at any point in the future.