Walking Tour... need a little help, please

Natalia

We will be visiting San Juan for the first time while on a family cruise later this year. Since I am responsible for making all of our tour arrangements... I would be grateful for your help. In my group of 10, there are a few who have some walking limitations, so Im trying to establish 2 options. My questions are:

1) How LONG (distance-wise) is the walking tour? I have looked everywhere, including in the highly recommended Frommer's book, and have not seen an estimate. Anyone have a guess?

2) Ok, now time-wise... how long does it normally take to complete the standard walking tour?

3) I considered the Legends tour, but Debbie does not go to either of the forts and we definitely want to see those. Are there any other tour guides who will just take my group where WE want to go while providing the historical information too? Part 2 of this question, the Legends website states (in the FAQs) that the tour is in Spanish, yet none of you here have mentioned that. So Im not sure what to believe.

4) Many of you have mentioned taking a taxi UP to the fort (El Morro) and walking back down through town, this sounds like a great idea for some of us. Can I still see all of the things this way that I would have if I walked the whole tour (not including San Cristobal which I realize is in a different direction)? For those in my group who cant walk back, is it easy enough to get a taxi to return them to the pier area?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, info or tips.

You did not say what the "walking limitations" were......

Old San Juan is about 15 square blocks but it is up and down....and cobblestone streets and sidewalks are.....well not much. See this www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp to get your bearings.

Not sure how long you will be there....but to do both forts AND walk around is iffy. We spent one whole morning at El Morro (and I am not a real fort kind of girl but was fun)

The thing about doing your own "tour" is you can pick and choose what you want to see. We walked around alot !!!! but some things did not interest me so we did not go there....opting instead to stop in a shop or two if there was something interesting in the window or inside. You can get a map with streets listed and "sights" at the tourist place near docks or there is one in Frommers with a detailed walking tour (this is what we used. As far as how long....that depends on how long you stay at each sight or if you just "look and run" :D (remember Clark Griswold and European Vacation LOL)

We only saw one "trolley" and we were walking faster than it was going so I wouldnt really count on those. Taxis are everywhere and if someone gets tired they can always head back to ship on their own (if adult).

Don't know of any other tour operators and have not heard that Legends is in Spanish..... according to website they can do German, Italian and others so sure they can do English !!!!

My original post was so lengthy, I didnt want to make it worse....

I will have 2 ladies in my group who are 80ish, they can walk for shopping and the like, but not for extended periods. This is why I'm trying to find an alternative for them and any others who dont want to walk so much, while those interested can do the walking tour.

On this FAQs page of the Legends website: http://www.*****.com/LSJN_FAQ.HTM

Question (found at the bottom of the page): "10. Are the tours only offered in Spanish?" Answer: "Yes." The remainder of the answer is a little confusing.

I figured this was not quite accurate since no one here has mentioned it.

Edited to add: We will only be there for 6 hours (less when you consider time to get on and off the ship), so I know I probably cant see both forts. Thats ok, my main interest is the area shown on the walking tour map.

You did not say what the "walking limitations" were......

Old San Juan is about 15 square blocks but it is up and down....and cobblestone streets and sidewalks are.....well not much. See this www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp to get your bearings.

Not sure how long you will be there....but to do both forts AND walk around is iffy. We spent one whole morning at El Morro (and I am not a real fort kind of girl but was fun)

The thing about doing your own "tour" is you can pick and choose what you want to see. We walked around alot !!!! but some things did not interest me so we did not go there....opting instead to stop in a shop or two if there was something interesting in the window or inside. You can get a map with streets listed and "sights" at the tourist place near docks or there is one in Frommers with a detailed walking tour (this is what we used. As far as how long....that depends on how long you stay at each sight or if you just "look and run" :D (remember Clark Griswold and European Vacation LOL)

We only saw one "trolley" and we were walking faster than it was going so I wouldnt really count on those. Taxis are everywhere and if someone gets tired they can always head back to ship on their own (if adult).

Don't know of any other tour operators and have not heard that Legends is in Spanish..... according to website they can do German, Italian and others so sure they can do English !!!!

Great website!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Any places of interest that have "don't miss" quality? Thanks Again.

That sounds like a good idea, if Im understanding you right. So we would have a driver who basically takes us through town, but then we get off the bus (or van??) to go into historical places and such where the guide would go along with us telling us of the history, etc.... Is this what you mean?

If so, how do I go about arranging something like that?

And at least I have the taxi idea to fall back on, thanks for that info. Never having been there, I wasnt sure if that was a reliable option or not.

Natalia:

We did a 5 hour private morning tour with Debbie of Legends of Puerto Rico.

It was wonderful.

As stated you are taken to an area where you get out and walk for a short time.

The van will be waitiing for you at the end of that segment and you get to relax for awhile before doing it again. Never was there a hurry up or extreme amount of walking. Very relaxed and easy. Plenty of bottled water was availible and bathroom breaks were worked in too.

The thing we really liked about this tour was that Debbie and her driver picked us, (and our luggage), up at the hotel. We did the tour and was dropped off at our cruise ship. No need to worry about a taxi and that extra charge.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like to know more.

PS

Enjoyed it so much that I have been in contact with Debbie to see if it would be possible to come up with a part #2 when we are in San Juan again 01/12/2007.

Thanks for the info, everyone!

I should have stated, I can not take Debbies tour due to a scheduling conflict (we arrive into port at 2pm and to the best of my knowledge her tours are earlier in the day, plus she's only available on certain days).

But I will look into finding another guide. Thats what I was hoping for, other recommendations.

Natalia: If I recall - Legends of PR has private tours available. (See Jim B's post re: PRIVATE TOUR) Don't know what the cost is (not on the website) but you may be able to do a private tour (starting when you need) that would suit your other needs also. I would contact her and ask..... can't hurt.

Archived