Can I self-tour the island in 6 hours?

Natalia

We will be in port from 7am-4pm, technically. If we pick up a rental car by 8ish and want to return by 2ish... is that 6 hours enough time to: drive around the island to see the sights, do a bit of shopping and snorkeling here or there, make a stop for lunch, finished off by watching a few planes come in... before arriving back at the pier area??

Im just not sure if this is something that can be done relatively quickly or if the island is larger than I realize and a trip all the way around would take quite a while to complete.

Absolutely !!!

We had jeep from Hertz reserved ahead of time. Picked it up at 9-9:30.

We were back at the pier @ 4:00 (we were in port till 5:30 - back on ship by 5).

We went around counterclockwise - I would suggest you go the other way.... but here's what we did:

Went to Marigot, shopped and had a leisurely lunch, went to Grand Case (got a little turned around - and stuck in traffic for about 20 minutes) then over to Orient area - near butterfly farm and off-roaded to a deserted beach then back to Orient -- parked and guys snorkled for about 1 hour. Then back to Philipsburg - traffic not too bad but some near the lagoon. Guys turned in car while girls hit the stores by the dock.

I would have everything figured out before hand (what beach to hit- where to shop etc.) and try to stick to your schedule or be prepared to delete something. Since you want to see planes - most come in the afternoon you want to be at Maho then. BE AWARE TRAFFIC COMING BACK INTO PHILIPSBURG FROM THAT DIRECTION IN THE AFTERNOON CAN BE HEAVY AND BRIDGE COULD BE UP..... factor that in. The roads are good and signs are ok....but be familiar with island before !!!!! I ordered a map online a few months before we even left and turns out was same one Hertz gave us with jeep. Have fun:)

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions (here and on another board).

Yeah, I was planning on doing everything just as you said, except for I want to go counter clockwise too so we will be over near Maho in the afternoon. But you raise a good point, the traffic coming back into town might be crazy. So I will stick to my plan of trying to get back into town by 2 at the latest(ship sails at 4). That will give me a little cushion should we encounter a delay. If I can get my gang up, we'll be off that ship before 9, but... that may be wishful thinking with 10 people.

I have a few basic maps that I found online, but Im planning to hop over to Borders (have a coupon that I need to use!) to see if they have a decent map... if not, will order one online. Its best to end up with a duplicate map and be prepared. I wish we could do the Jeeps, we did that in Coz and loved it... but they just wont work for us this time. I'll have to settle for a van.

Thanks again!

I'm sorry - I just reread my post and realized I oooppps'd. We went clockwise not counterclockwise.

Good luck with 10 people :eek: There were just two couples (us and best friends) but she is always late for everything !!! We were always waiting for her except for the night we were invited to dine at the Captains table..... my dh and I went down so not to be late but guess what - they were !!!! Anyway, one couple could go ahead and get the ball rolling with car rental (there is paperwork to be filled out etc) and everyone else could meet you at the car rental area (to the right just as you get off the pier just passed where the tour buses are - cant miss em). That would save you some time -20 to 30 minutes depending on how many people are also trying to get their vehicles.

Ohhhh thats a great idea! Yeah, if I dont get a private tour set up and I go with the car rentals... DH and I (or whoever I can get) will go early and get the cars. Hmmm why didnt I think of that?

You are full of good ideas... thanks!

just did the tour the direction you want to go. start from the pier and head counter clockwise to the orient beach area. we stopped first for coissants and coffee at local eatery on the way. also stopped at dawn beach but it is completely under construction for a new huge westin hotel complex. already of thinking of going there in 2 years. but i digress. we then went to orient for pictures and a look around, but no swimming. then off to grand case to walk around and a little shopping. next up was marigot for lunch, wine buying, and shopping. on the road to the small bays for photo opps. and then maho. got our jet shots and back to the ship. rented a car from arthur's who has a satellite spot just outside the pier. on the road by 8:30 and back to the pier by 2:30. the only thing we didn't do was the swimming and snorkeling. saved that for curacao and st. john's. you just need to be organized and scheduled to get it all done in the alotted time. have fun!

steve

Archived