Buses in Denali

the cruise is on

Hey folks - I don't know how many of you had an opportunity to see some of the Alaska info that was on the Travel Channel last evening (Sunday). I watched for a few hours - the videos only added to our excitment as we build up to our cruise and land tour.

I just wanted to thank BK and Murray for their warnings regarding the buses in Denali. While I have been reviewing the Alaska info, we have had several long discussions regarding transportation while in Denali.

One of the segments last evening presented info on a couple that travel to Alaska every year to take pictures. While they were being interviewed in Denali, a tour bus went past. Just as we have been warned, it is a "souped" up school bus. I pointed the bus out to my husband and reminded him that we will be on that for at least 8 hours while we do our Tundra Wilderness Tour. So what do you think - maybe take a pillow to sit on!! LOL

:confused: Can anyone give more details on these buses? Why they use the school bus? For the price and length of travel, why not accomodate passengers more comfortably? I heard that Princess has upgraded the buses that now will include video screens? Does Princess have some kind of sole jurisdiction on the buses they use for their own passengers? Is there some kind of limitation imposed on the type of vehicles that go deeper into Denali?:eek:

This is what the buses look like, they are not bad to ride in for 8 hours. I didn't find them terribly noisy. We stopped every hour and a half with enough time to walk out any kinks, see the sights, eat lunch and take pictures or use the facilities. I think you'll enjoy the trip.

I've been told, on good authority, that buses (and cars and trucks) take a real beating on the gravel roads in Alaska. Princess uses only older passenger buses on the Dalton Highway, they are built better and can take the trip. I would assume the same situation exists in Denali. The older buses are sturdier, pieces don't fall off along the road!

Have a great trip.

They use school buses because they are dirt cheap, pretty tough, and the windows open for good photography. Highway motorcoaches are more comfortable and tougher, but the windows don't open and they cost 20 times as much. Princess has nothing to do with the Denali buses, its an independent NPS contractor. People don't watch videos in Denali buses, they make them!

Murray

As Murray said, there are no Princess buses inside of denali. The only way to get into the park on the one way 95 mile long mostly gravel road is thru these beefed up school buses. You can take the $90 tundra tour, to Toklat River area, mile 53, 8hrs, or the shuttle buses for 1/3 of the cost to Toklat River, mile 53, Fishcreek, mile 66, 9hrs, or Wonder Lake, mile 85 and 11 hrs. The tundra tour bus is one color and shuttles are another, otherwise exactly the same. Tundra tour includes a bad lunch and drink and a guide for your $90, while on shuttle, you need to bring own snacks and drinks and the knowledgable driver narrates on what you are seeing. Both stop for all wildlife viewing.

I do NOT find the Park buses uncomfortable.

And if you go with the shuttle buses and NOT the tour buses they are a dirt cheap option for the best wildlife opportunity in Alaska. :) The tour buses, which are the same bus, only colored tan, cost three times the shuttle buses, which are green.

So bottom line, they are an adventure in Alaska, heavy duty suspension, you sit two to a seat, well padded, and you are out of them approx every 1 1/2 hours. Plenty of stops where you are up out of your seat for wildlife viewing and it's the fastest time going by.

If you require more "comfort" then it's not for you- if you want breath taking scenery, wildlife possibilities that will delight- come along for the adventure. :)

We took the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali last May. We went as far into the park as the NPS would permit at that time - they were still clearing some snow, rock slides and grading the gravel, further into the park. I don't think that even the shuttle busses were proceeding further at that time. In any event, we did not find the bus to be uncomfortable at all! The frequent stops are great and we were transfixed by the wildlife, including grizzlies outside our window.

According to our guide - the National Park Service limits the road to school bus chassis, as other buses on gravel roads do too much damage, and they do not want to change the ecosystem any more than they have to. The bus we were on was a "luxury" bus, with more legroom and better padding. We were dreading our 13 hour school bus trip before we went - but it was wonderful. We stopped frequently enough so it wasn't all riding, and we watched a bear fend off two wolves trying to steal it's victim's carcass. Not something you see every day.

According to our guide - the National Park Service limits the road to school bus chassis, as other buses on gravel roads do too much damage, and they do not want to change the ecosystem any more than they have to.

That's only true to the extent that school buses carry more people. To use luxury highway motorcoaches would require half again as many buses and 20 times the budget (which would, of course, dramatically increase your cost to go on one). The axle loading that largely determines how hard a vehicle is on the road is actually lower on a highway coach than a school bus, even if higher road maintenance did affect the ecosystem (more grader exhaust, I suppose).

Murray

Archived