March 26, 2022 from Charleston

Suitcasefull

• 1 month later...

Which cabin(s) will you be in?  We're on deck 3

On 12/18/2021 at 6:05 PM, BaumD said:

Will be getting on in Amelia Island when you get off on April 2nd.

Maybe I'll leave you a note on board, BaumD!

On 12/19/2021 at 11:36 AM, DaveinCharlotte said:

Will be taking Star's last Rivers of Florida cruise in mid-March, then the ship will be heading north to pick you up in Charleston.

And Dave, perhaps you can leave me one to find? 

When we started our Inland Passage cruise on the Star last November, we made a spur-of-the-moment decision to book another cruise in March.  But our usual cabin (AA, by the lounge) and all the cabins on the upper decks were already taken by that late date.  The only cabins open were A cabins on the first deck.  So we took one of those (#108).  Never stayed down there, and not sure we're going to like it.  But we'll see.

Star is supposedly undergoing some restoration work.  The schedule called for resuming cruises in mid-February, with 4 Florida cruises.  The first of these disappeared from the website recently.  The next 3 are still shown.  Fingers crossed. 

2 hours ago, BaumD said:

Stuck in a window cabin on deck 2.  All balconies are sold out. Hoping for a cancellation so I can move up to a balcony. 

If it's any consolation, at least with the window cabins, you get more room in the cabin, they're closer to the lounge, and they don't cost as much. :-)

6 hours ago, BaumD said:

Stuck in a window cabin on deck 2.  All balconies are sold out. Hoping for a cancellation so I can move up to a balcony. 

Yeah, I've learned to try to book early to get cabins I like but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

You probably have a good chance of someone cancelling!  Getting excited and hoping the sailings happen!

3 hours ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

If it's any consolation, at least with the window cabins, you get more room in the cabin, they're closer to the lounge, and they don't cost as much. 🙂

I hadn't realized the cabins were larger!  Is there an advantage to being closer to the lounge?  May have to rethink cabin strategy in future; this is first trip with ACL.

14 hours ago, Suitcasefull said:

I hadn't realized the cabins were larger!  Is there an advantage to being closer to the lounge?

Well, if you look closely at the deck plans, it appears that the overall footprint for the AA cabins is the same as the balcony cabins.  So when you lose the balcony, you gain the space that would otherwise be the balcony.  Not a lot, admittedly, but then again that goes to show the balcony area isn't a lot either. (Note: the otherwise-identical sister ship Independence doesn't have any of these balcony-less cabins -- all cabins on Deck 2 have balconies, and are priced accordingly.)

On small ships like the Star, there is only one main lounge.  So all of the ship's activities -- happy hour, entertainment, briefings, naturalist presentations, etc. -- take place there.  We find we are endlessly finding reasons to go back and forth between our room and the lounge, so being close helps.  We usually get the cabin right next to the lounge, but some don't like to be this close in case the entertainment gets too loud.  Mostly a matter of personal preference, I guess.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2022 at 10:40 PM, Suitcasefull said:
On 12/18/2021 at 6:05 PM, BaumD said:

Will be getting on in Amelia Island when you get off on April 2nd.

Fixed a paper with pic a lab on it ---- ill try to remember to tack it on the bulletin board as we leave the ship early on the 2nd. Looking forward to this! 

Only question now is how dressy dinner would be, as in, does he have to take a jacket or is nice shirt and slacks okay.

Will look for your picture. No need for a sports jacket. Nice shirt and slacks are fine. 
I just checked the online schedule for my cruise and the times in each port have changed. Some better, some not better. You should login to your account and see if your schedule has changed. 

On 3/18/2022 at 9:07 PM, BaumD said:

Will look for your picture. No need for a sports jacket. Nice shirt and slacks are fine. 
I just checked the online schedule for my cruise and the times in each port have changed. Some better, some not better. You should login to your account and see if your schedule has changed. 

Thanks for the heads up.......hadn't thought about changes this close to sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

Suitcasfull

on board and when they brought me my COVID results, she said “I have a letter for you”!  Thanks for the review and sound like you had a great trip. Hoping for the same. 

On 4/2/2022 at 10:53 AM, BaumD said:

Suitcasefull

on board and when they brought me my COVID results, she said “I have a letter for you”!  Thanks for the review and sound like you had a great trip. Hoping for the same. 

Glad you got the note.  They had me put it in the plastic box at top of bulletin board outside Andy's office; evidently first time they'd had a note left for future traveler. Had no idea they were going to hand deliver but glad to hear.  Didn't know your interests but we did several other excursions and they were all good;  alligators and comedy trolley were just my favorites.  Think you'll probably have those two entertainers (Jimmy Maddox and Annie whose last name I forgot!) since they were local at ports.  Hope the weather doesn't mess up your trip too much. We flew out Saturday without problem.  Safe travels!