Help deciding on which NCL excursion to take

FlashF15

We will be going at the end of May (with our 17 yr old son).  Trying to decide between Mt Vesuvius & Pompeii or Flavors of Sorento & Pompeii.  Also, between Ultimate Florence & Pisa - David & Tower Climb or just do NCL's Pisa Tower Climb.  From what I understand, we are required to use NCL tours at the moment.  Thanks!

Assuming that both tours offer about the same amount of time at Pompei, it comes down to your interests primarily but there are a few other considerations.

For one thing, going to Sorrento nearly doubles the amount of time you'll spend on a bus.  Vesuvius and Pompei are fairly close to one another, going on to Sorrento adds quite a lot of driving time (it's 25 km from the cruise port to Pompei, then another 25 km to Sorrento).

Another factor is weather, both Pompei and Vesuvio are outdoor sites and offer little shade or escape from the heat.  This is less of a factor in May than it would be in mid-summer, but something to think about nevertheless.

The third thing that comes to mind is your physical abilities.  Climbing to the edge of the crater at Vesuvio requires a one mile walk on a steep path.  If it happens to be an overcast day you won't enjoy the view of the bay from the top but the crater is fascinating (to me, anyway).

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Took our 5 grandkids to Pompeii July 2019. Boys aged 10 and 11 enjoyed it and seemed to remember a lot. It was HOT.  Girls 16, 14 and 9 enjoyed everything with no complaints. On a personal note, I find Herculaneum more interesting than Pompeii.  More of the city was "saved" because it was enveloped in lava and not destroyed by the pyroclastic blast. But Pompeii is more amazing perhaps because of the destruction. We all enjoyed Sorrento and the pizza and limoncello.  

We are cruising on NCL this July with the same group being 3 years older.  Also thinking Florence on your own. DH and I have been there many times. IMO, David is impressive and Pisa is interesting but we only spent 15 minutes there.  Never climbed any towers myself. We are also considering Cinque Terra. At 17, your son might appreciate that tour.

So many good options.

I don't think I'm much help here.

Gelato, gelato , gelato.  Can't tell you how many times I heard that at our Italy stops. I had to agree it is amazing.