When I saw this post about trip insurance I wanted to ask if anyone has been victimized by the same situation we just experienced and if there's anything we can do: We had last year booked a cruise on AZ set to depart August 2022 using one of the cruise travel agent companies. At the time of booking, the agent sold us travel insurance as well. With the whole COVID situation and the uncertainty, we decided to cancel the cruise. Since we were well before the full payment date, we will get a refund, BUT NOT for the insurance, which cost us $1,358!!! 
A friend of ours told us he never buys insurance until he pays in full, an option the agent did not discuss with us. We feel completely hoodwinked by this agent. Has anyone else been victimized by this type of situation? Is there anything that can be done to get our money back?? 

I have used TIS probably a couple dozen times over the course of almost 20 years, and made two claims which were paid in full.  Highly recommend Steve and his crew!

I'll reply to Scubaaah, and I'm sure Steve will, as well.

When we first started to cruise, we purchased cruise line insurance, didn't read the terms and paid up for the easiest and most convenient product.  I remembered my Dad didn't take out insurance for a once in a lifetime voyage, couldn't make it because of his wife's illness, and the very substantial fare was a total loss.

After our first or second cruise, I started researching third party insurance, such as Steve offers.  Typically, less expensive, and offers much better and comprehensive terms - with some hoops one must be careful to jump through.  I remember my first discussion with Steve, "Why can't I just insure cost of the cruise, why must I insure everything prepaid and nonrefundable, when the cruise is all I want to insure?"  Steve's response, "If you want cancel for any reason, those are the terms," (secondarily pre-existing conditions).

I've never purchased cruise line insurance since. 

To your question, you probably don't have any recourse.  The insurance provider probably required you pay for the insurance at final payment or, less likely, at the time you made your deposit.

You would have good reason to be unhappy if the agent that sold you the cruise, also sold you the insurance when you made the relatively small up front deposit, unless the insurance underwriter required full payment at initial deposit.

When we have purchased from Steve, I believe we have always purchased from an underwriter who allows us to "pay as we go."  If the initial deposit is $1,000, we write for that amount initially, then pay the additional premium as we add more prepaid and nonrefundable expenses.  Not every underwriter offers this option, Steve would be able to guide you to one that will.

7 hours ago, Scubaaah said:

When I saw this post about trip insurance I wanted to ask if anyone has been victimized by the same situation we just experienced and if there's anything we can do: We had last year booked a cruise on AZ set to depart August 2022 using one of the cruise travel agent companies. At the time of booking, the agent sold us travel insurance as well. With the whole COVID situation and the uncertainty, we decided to cancel the cruise. Since we were well before the full payment date, we will get a refund, BUT NOT for the insurance, which cost us $1,358!!! 
A friend of ours told us he never buys insurance until he pays in full, an option the agent did not discuss with us. We feel completely hoodwinked by this agent. Has anyone else been victimized by this type of situation? Is there anything that can be done to get our money back??

Hi Scubaaah,

I'm sorry to hear your agent hasn't helped you.

Which exact policy did you buy?

Steve Dasseos

16 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Scubaaah,

I'm sorry to hear your agent hasn't helped you.

Which exact policy did you buy?

Steve Dasseos

We purchased Leisure Care by AON. That's what they sold us. 

22 hours ago, Former Goalie said:

I have used TIS probably a couple dozen times over the course of almost 20 years, and made two claims which were paid in full.  Highly recommend Steve and his crew!

I'll reply to Scubaaah, and I'm sure Steve will, as well.

When we first started to cruise, we purchased cruise line insurance, didn't read the terms and paid up for the easiest and most convenient product.  I remembered my Dad didn't take out insurance for a once in a lifetime voyage, couldn't make it because of his wife's illness, and the very substantial fare was a total loss.

After our first or second cruise, I started researching third party insurance, such as Steve offers.  Typically, less expensive, and offers much better and comprehensive terms - with some hoops one must be careful to jump through.  I remember my first discussion with Steve, "Why can't I just insure cost of the cruise, why must I insure everything prepaid and nonrefundable, when the cruise is all I want to insure?"  Steve's response, "If you want cancel for any reason, those are the terms," (secondarily pre-existing conditions).

I've never purchased cruise line insurance since. 

To your question, you probably don't have any recourse.  The insurance provider probably required you pay for the insurance at final payment or, less likely, at the time you made your deposit.

You would have good reason to be unhappy if the agent that sold you the cruise, also sold you the insurance when you made the relatively small up front deposit, unless the insurance underwriter required full payment at initial deposit.

When we have purchased from Steve, I believe we have always purchased from an underwriter who allows us to "pay as we go."  If the initial deposit is $1,000, we write for that amount initially, then pay the additional premium as we add more prepaid and nonrefundable expenses.  Not every underwriter offers this option, Steve would be able to guide you to one that will.

Thanks for your reply. Our issue is that it doesn't seem correct that we paid in full for the insurance when we only made a small deposit for the entire cruise, which we could cancel up to early April '22. It's just a substantial amount to lose and a total waste of money to be out of $1,358. 

4 hours ago, Scubaaah said:

Thanks for your reply. Our issue is that it doesn't seem correct that we paid in full for the insurance when we only made a small deposit for the entire cruise, which we could cancel up to early April '22. It's just a substantial amount to lose and a total waste of money to be out of $1,358. 

As Former Goalie said, I have plans that allow you to insure the money as you pay. Unfortunately, Leisure Care by AON, nor any of the travel supplier plans allow this.

I figured out this strategy in 2003 and at least 75% of the plans we sell for trips more than 6 months in the future are set up this way.

• Like 2