Beach/snorkeling near Taino Bay?

Mlake09

Hi all,

We’re headed to the Taino Bay port in April

and looking at the excursions offered through NCL. Does anyone know if there are any beaches nearby with good snorkeling? Neither of us love the idea of a 45 minute off road drive, which is how most of the NCL excursions are listed as starting. Alternatively, has anyone done any snorkeling in the area that would a good recommendation?

Thank you!

I cannot speak to the snorkeling, but the main city beach and malecon are maybe 10 minutes  away.

We passed by on the way to an excursion.

Looked like there were food and chair vendors in several places along the beach. There were palms trees so you could get shade if you wanted. 

I found the people very friendly and happy to help visitors, so I expect any cab driver would give good advice and take you there.  

Ship excursions probably take you to a resort or a distant,  more scenic beach. If you just want sun and swimming, along with meeting some locals, that can be found very close. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 12:05 PM, Mlake09 said:

Thank you! I appreciate any feedback. It would be nice to walk but we understand we may need to take a cab, too.

I was hoping to find a walkable beach for just relaxing and snorkeling as well.

1 hour ago, NCBeachBride said:

I was hoping to find a walkable beach for just relaxing and snorkeling as well.

We did walk out on our own, but after doing so, I’m not sure that if we went back again, we wouldn’t just set up an independent tour or book with NCL directly. The beaches we walked by had a lot of trash and weren’t set up for visitors. I had been looking to go over to Sousa Beach with Marisol Tours, but since it was Easter, we weren’t able to book with them. If we return on another cruise, we will likely do that.

If you want to walk around and explore the area, we felt mostly fine in our group. However, sidewalks with not always available. We walked to the ink street and umbrella street, and over to the fort on the opposite side of the ship.

I hope that helps!

1 hour ago, Mlake09 said:

We did walk out on our own, but after doing so, I’m not sure that if we went back again, we wouldn’t just set up an independent tour or book with NCL directly. The beaches we walked by had a lot of trash and weren’t set up for visitors. I had been looking to go over to Sousa Beach with Marisol Tours, but since it was Easter, we weren’t able to book with them. If we return on another cruise, we will likely do that.

If you want to walk around and explore the area, we felt mostly fine in our group. However, sidewalks with not always available. We walked to the ink street and umbrella street, and over to the fort on the opposite side of the ship.

I hope that helps!

Thanks!  That does help.  I had read that Sousa Beach was great so I guess I just need to look for a private excursion and I'll look into the company you mentioned.  We don't go until November so I have what seems like forever to look into it more!  😄