How do you snorkel and is it real hard ??

jennybabee

:confused: I know this is going to sound like a really stupid question but my husband, my mom, my dad and I are going snorkeling for the first time on our cruise in May and I am wondering how u do it ??? do you just slowing plunge into the water? Seems like water would go through the tube as you go under ??? Yeah, I know stupid question !!!!

First off if you are new to the sport have a qualified snorkeler show you how it's done. We were fairly new last year and bought our own masks and fins yet we didn't have the right mask to fit our faces nor the correct way of defogging ( spit, yes gross I know). Our fins were not the best either. We were shown how to properly kick and relax and how to blow out any water which may get trapped.

This past week we went on a snorkeling trip with Mayan Paradise Tours in Cozumel and were given correct usage of the mask and fins and a useful tip about placing vaseline on your mustache to prevent the leakage, not to wear the mask super tight and to breathe normally through the snorkel.

Relax while wearing the life preserver ( looks like a loop that goes over the head and straps around your waist and has an inflation device on it) and not to paddle like you would while swimming.

Depending on the waves of the ocean, it would be best to start where it's calm rather than fighting the waves and being able to snorkel without fear to enjoy the scenery! If you have a guide, let him know that you are inexperienced they should stay relatively close to you should you encounter any problems. Remember to relax and breathe through the mouthpiece.

:confused: I know this is going to sound like a really stupid question but my husband, my mom, my dad and I are going snorkeling for the first time on our cruise in May and I am wondering how u do it ??? do you just slowing plunge into the water? Seems like water would go through the tube as you go under ??? Yeah, I know stupid question !!!!

Hi,

Snorkeling is a "surface" activity for most. You don a mask, snorkel and fins and float on the surface looking down. Unless there's waves or some other issue, most of the time it's just swimming around breathing normally. As far as swimming down under (duck diving), if you're a novice snorkeler the easiest thing is to spit out the snorkel, dive down, then empty it and replace it in your mouth when you surface again. The actual mechanics involves either clamping down on the snorkel mouth piece, plugging it with your tongue, or keeping pressure in your mouth to keep the water out. Then after diving, having enough air left in your lungs to expel the water out of the tube before you take a breath (not an easy thing to master on your first try).

Hope this helped,

r

P.S. if your snorkel is open ended (some stop water from coming in) be careful looking too far down. If you crane your neck too close to your body the snorkel will be even, or below, the water and you'll get a nice swallow of water. :p

thanks so much, we are going to stick to just skimming the water, my mom is not a great swimmer, doggie paddling is her specialty lol , so we are not going to do anything above that. I dont even think we are going to use fins because we are going to the stingray sandbar and around that area (with Moby dick tours) and I remember last time we went there they told the snorkelers that they could not use fins do to sand disturbances.

As funny as it might sound you can take a class in snorleling if you want. A lot of people just have never had the chance to play in the water that way. PADI (Professional Association of Dive Instructors) offer a course. Here's a link to PADI's website describing the course http://padi.com/english/common/courses/rec/begin/snorkeling.asp

There are two PADI dive shops listed for Virginia Beach:

Dive Quarters, Inc. S-15154

1725 Laskin, Suite 515

Hilltop Plaza

Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454

UNITED STATES

Phone: (757) 422-3483

Fax: (757) 425-6748

Wreck Master Divers S-20693

1270 Diamond Springs Road, Suite 115

Virginia Beach, Virginia 23455

UNITED STATES

Phone: (757) 363-0363

Fax: (775) 213-6394

Have fun what ever you do

Kent PADI OWSI #176700

OK sorry - I don't mean to be mean .... but don't do this to me.

The scene: a boat load of 30 people arrives at a site and the folks begin to drop in the water. 5 have failed to tell anyone that they have NEVER snorkeled b4. On jumping, or slowly lowering in (to the wonderment of everyone else on board, trying to use the ladder) they looked under water and the combination of water streaming into the mask and a barracuda staring back caused a scream, ingestion of sea water and need for rescue folks to wake up...:eek: (damn, we hate that)

I'm one of those rescue folks....learn how to snorkle PLEASE. I don't care how you do it, but there are ways. In VA Beach, there are classes... I KNOW THERE ARE CLASSES in a pool aka controlled environment. It takes about 3 minutes to learn the skills.....and 30+ years to perfect them.

But DO NOT discover that this is a lil' harder than you thought, in open water, under the guise of a tour guide looking at a group of 30 (40?....50?). I've had to carry the ones who failed to prepare, back to their families. Don't ask me to do it again.

maybe you should take the glass bottom boat, or the submarine ...

(40 year experience life guard sends...)

I would recommend that for first timers, they consider booking with an independent operator in a port rather than taking a cruise ship excursion. Best option if there are enough of you, is to charter a boat for yourselves for a half day trip. Failing that, find an operator that takes no more than a dozen or so folks out. And TELL them that you are novices and need some instruction.

Most operators are very patient and encouraging and will do their utmost to see that you have a good experience.

You can find independent operators by searching some of the posts here or by putting a post on the various port of call boards.

The cruise line excursions are referred to as "cattlemarans" and they simply take too many people for you to have a quality experience and any personal instruction. Spend the money to do it right, as once you have experienced snorkeling in a positive fashion, you will love it.

thanks so much, we are going to stick to just skimming the water, my mom is not a great swimmer, doggie paddling is her specialty lol , so we are not going to do anything above that. I dont even think we are going to use fins because we are going to the stingray sandbar and around that area (with Moby dick tours) and I remember last time we went there they told the snorkelers that they could not use fins do to sand disturbances.

Hi all,

Sounds like Jennybabee is going to Stingray City. I've done the sandbar and it really isn't even considered snorkeling. You stand in 3-4 ft. water and look down to see the stingrays. Nothing complicated (probably don't even need the snorkel since you can just hold your breath for a bit). Also jenny, the reason for no fins is because of the number of people they take on these excursions (everyone stepping on each other's toes) and to minimize the chance of stepping on some of the rays that stay on the bottom. :)

Randall

thanks everyone for you kind information and yes I am doing the stingray sandbar tour (with Moby dick) it is a small group (well smaller then cruise ship anyway) and I am not worried about the sandbar but there is one more stop that worries me which involves snorkeling in alittle deeper water which is why I was asking the snorkeling question.

Hi,

Snorkeling is a "surface" activity for most. You don a mask, snorkel and fins and float on the surface looking down. Unless there's waves or some other issue, most of the time it's just swimming around breathing normally. As far as swimming down under (duck diving), if you're a novice snorkeler the easiest thing is to spit out the snorkel, dive down, then empty it and replace it in your mouth when you surface again. The actual mechanics involves either clamping down on the snorkel mouth piece, plugging it with your tongue, or keeping pressure in your mouth to keep the water out. Then after diving, having enough air left in your lungs to expel the water out of the tube before you take a breath (not an easy thing to master on your first try).

Hope this helped,

P.S. if your snorkel is open ended (some stop water from coming in) be careful looking too far down. If you crane your neck too close to your body the snorkel will be even, or below, the water and you'll get a nice swallow of water. :p

LMAO! That happened to me the first time I snorkled. It was like sucking up sea water thru a big straw. YUCK! I had gone on an excursion back in '99 in Jamaica. Before we went in the water, the captain said everyone plug your nose and breath thru your mouth. If you cannot do this, you will not be snorkeling today. So yeah, if you're on the surface be careful when you breath in. You don't want the water in your mouth. (actually, I got kind of used to it anyway) I got so excited taking pictures underwater of the fish that my head went too far under. After awhile, I just held my breath and said heck with the darn snorkel.

I can't swim underwater anyway....I float. LOL!

At first I thought this thread was a joke. But, I guess Ihave b een doing it so long....

Also, important to remember is in the salt water you will float if you just lay there face down and prone. You don't even have to move, so learn that and don't start out fiighting it. Snorkling in fresh water is much more difficult without a vest, you tend to sink.:eek:

Also, remember that, while you don't think you are in the sun, your back is and can get REALLY sunburnt, especially as your skin never gets warm with water washing over it. Think of the backs of your knees and the amount of sun they usually get!!

First go to a dive shop and familiarize yourself with the snorkeling equipment and ask questions; they may even offer classes. Then I would suggest buying your own snorkel set either (or at least a snorkel) from the same dive shop or Ebay and then find a pool or something. I went on Ebay and picked up a great snorkel set for about $50. This included mask, fins, gloves and a cool dry snorkel (it has an automatic valve that doesn’t allow water to enter). Snorkeling is a fun and rewarding activity that most anyone can do, but be careful and for goodness sake wear water proof sunscreen! Also I always wear a brightly colored shirt so that the boaters in the area can see me. This may seem a little paranoid :eek: , but you can literally never be too careful while in the water, especially in unfamiliar territory.

Archived