Port Stop in Ringaskiddy

gbits

Anyone have a tour guide they would recommend for this port? Or will DIY work? Can you walk from the port to the Blarney Castle? I’ve read that the castle and the stone aren’t worth seeing but the grounds are fabulous. Any other “must see” places at this port?

13 minutes ago, gbits said:

Can you walk from the port to the Blarney Castle?

Certainly you can, it will take you about 5 hours to get to Blarney and another 5 hours back.  How long is your ship in port?

Ringaskiddy can be problematic for cruisers.  It is a deep water port and commercial container port and ferry port.  There is no cruise terminal and I have heard it reported that, pre covid, cruisers were not permitted to walk through the port area nor were taxis or private tours permitted into the port.  

It is a very isolated port area with very little public transport.  It is one port that may be worth taking a ship excursion or staying onboard.

When do you dock?  The earliest date that I see a listing for Ringaskiddy is June.

27 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Ringaskiddy can be problematic for cruisers.  It is a deep water port and commercial container port and ferry port.  There is no cruise terminal and I have heard it reported that, pre covid, cruisers were not permitted to walk through the port area nor were taxis or private tours permitted into the port.  

It is a very isolated port area with very little public transport.  It is one port that may be worth taking a ship excursion or staying onboard.

When do you dock?  The earliest date that I see a listing for Ringaskiddy is June.

We are there October 3, 2022. Oceania usually provides free shuttles from the port to the city center. I hope that is the case with this port.

9 hours ago, gbits said:

We are there October 3, 2022. Oceania usually provides free shuttles from the port to the city center. I hope that is the case with this port.

It would be the best solution for you.   There is absolutely nothing in the port area and the nearest village has one pub and a few houses.  Can you ask Oceania to confirm shuttles? I would expect that they may offer them.  It is strange that they are docking in Ringaskiddy as there is no cruise ship docking in Cobh on that day and Cobh is the prime location.  I intend to contact Port of Cork Authority to ask what they have planned for Ringaskiddy this year.

15 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

It would be the best solution for you.   There is absolutely nothing in the port area and the nearest village has one pub and a few houses.  Can you ask Oceania to confirm shuttles? I would expect that they may offer them.  It is strange that they are docking in Ringaskiddy as there is no cruise ship docking in Cobh on that day and Cobh is the prime location.  I intend to contact Port of Cork Authority to ask what they have planned for Ringaskiddy this year.

Yes, I will find out and report back.  I am sure its Ringaskiddy as it says it on my itinerary - why its that instead of Cobh, I have no idea...

14 hours ago, gbits said:

why its that instead of Cobh, I have no idea..

The port authorities try to keep smaller ships (<2500 pax) to Ringaskiddy, but there is no other vessel due on October 3rd, so it is probably just habit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 12:00 PM, VMax1700 said:

The port authorities try to keep smaller ships (<2500 pax) to Ringaskiddy, but there is no other vessel due on October 3rd, so it is probably just habit.

VMax can I get your opinion.  I am looking at a tour that goes to the Blarney Castle and Kinsale. Its an 8 hour tour.  Since we are not in the port of Cobh, I would really like to stop there to do the Titanic Experience.  Is it possible from Ringaskiddy to do all 3 places adequately in 8 hours?  I know "adequate" is a relative term but I guess what I am getting at is, is it enough to see what is most important - or do we need to choose 2 of the 3?

9 hours ago, gbits said:

VMax can I get your opinion.  I am looking at a tour that goes to the Blarney Castle and Kinsale. Its an 8 hour tour.  Since we are not in the port of Cobh, I would really like to stop there to do the Titanic Experience.  Is it possible from Ringaskiddy to do all 3 places adequately in 8 hours?  I know "adequate" is a relative term but I guess what I am getting at is, is it enough to see what is most important - or do we need to choose 2 of the 3?

It is very doable.  Specially as there is no other ship in Cobh so you will not have to 'compete' for viewing space.  I presume that this is a private tour and you can customise it?

My suggested route would be:

Ringaskiddy to Cobh (ask the driver to use the Cross Harbour Ferry). 35/40 minutes driving.

Cobh to Blarney Castle and Gardens. 45 minutes driving

Blarney to Kinsale. 45 minutes driving

Kinsale to Ringaskiddy. 40 minutes

Doing the trip in this sequence keeps you out of the city traffic at afternoon/evening rush and keeps driving time to around 3 hours max.