HAMAM IN ISTANBUL OR KUSADASI?

The problem is going to be finding someone with recent experience.

I researched hamams a few years ago -- I was more interested in getting inside some of the classic, architecturally beautiful hamams in Istanbul than in the actual bathing experience. If that's what you're interested in, Istanbul would be the better bet -- but do keep in mind that the men's baths have the most beautiful architecture and decoration, the women's are a bit of a disappointment in comparison.

Kusadasi used to have a hamam in town that was touted as a "real" experience but reviews were mixed. This was pre-Covid, not sure if they survived (or possibly improved). Some of the deluxe tourist hotels along the beach also advertise "hamam" experiences but they are more like a spa than the real, traditional thing.

Perhaps if you post your question on TripAdvisor, you'll get more recent info. The Istanbul board in particular used to have some very good contributors, locals and frequent visitors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 12:51 PM, S&DMOM said:

We wanted to try something different on this cruise.  Anyone ever been to a Hamam in the above 2 locations?  Safe?  Clean?  TIA

I have been to one in Kusadasi and really enjoyed the experience than found a Turkish barber around the corner for a shave and haircut. I plan on repeating when we visit in 2023.

5 hours ago, zqvol said:

I have been to one in Kusadasi and really enjoyed the experience than found a Turkish barber around the corner for a shave and haircut. I plan on repeating when we visit in 2023.

Do you by by chance remember the name or location?  TIA