medical release form

Mably

I am leaving on the Glory soon and will be leaving my 16 year old with her older brother ( don't worry ...he is 23 lol). My hubby will also be out of town for a few of those days so I am wondering if I need to get some type of legal form to give her brother the authority to seek medical care if necessary. Could someone please point me where I can find such a document? Thanks for the help!

Mary

Anything life threatening will be stabilized first. Beyond that, the notarized letter should do the trick. I would also include an emergency contact number for Dad since it would probably be easier to track him down in the event big brother is unable/unavailable to give consent to treat.

Here's a pretty complete one, including things like medical insurance, Dr. information, allergies, etc. The first page is a babysitter information page, and it might be a good idea to discuss some of those guidelines so older brother knows all those limits, too.

http://www.besafeinc.com/musthave/BSI_Babysitter_Checklist.html

One thing that I learned the hard way, but lucklily without too much damage done. If a minor that is not your child is injured, tkae them directly to the emergency room at the hospital.

I had a child fall on skates and break his shoulder at my home. I was talking to his mother on the phoen when it happened and told her where I was taking him. I took him to the Urgent Care near my house. They would not touch him til his parents arrived, which was less than 5 minutes later. They told me for him to be treated he needed to go to the emergency room since I was not his parent.

Archived