Disembarking HAL cruise one day early?

My partner and I booked an Athens to Venice(Trieste) cruise on the Oosterdam which was due to end on the 16th July. However there are no suitable flights for us out of Venice on that day which would allow us to get home in time for some important business we need done (should add that we live in Australia). When we booked the cruise it wasn't specified that we would be disembarking in Trieste, so not entirely our fault. The extra distance to the airport makes a big difference.

If we were to disembark the cruise a day early on the 15th in Split, Croatia and fly out of there then that would fix our problem. However from what I've read on these boards lately, a lot of cruise-lines have put a stop to 'down-lining, at least for the time being. I just can't find any definitive information on whether HAL would still allow this in certain circumstances or whether we are just out of luck?

The rules keep changing so your best bet is to directly contact HAL or ask your travel professional to do that deed.  HAL used to have a form for early debarkation and it needed to be submitted in advance for a determination.  These days I would not be optimistic about approval but you will not know until you actually try.  

Also keep in mind that itineraries keep changing and this can even happen during your cruise with little or no notice. This recently happened to us on a Seabourn cruise (part of the HAL Group) when 2 Moroccan ports were replaced by   Gibraltar and Malaga.  SB never even notified us of the change (even though we were aboard) and Guest Relations even denied the change rumors until the last minute.

Hank

• Thanks 1

You will need to get a permission letter from HAL before your cruise to debark early.  We got one through our PCC.  Then present it to Guest Relations after you board to be sure they are aware.  Like the previous poster said, in the current reality, itineraries can change after you are on the ship that could upset your plans.

• Like 1