Was 4 - Now 3. How do I handle this?

Gma&Gpa

We booked a cabin for 4 (sisters and a friend) with one of them TBD. Since booking it, my husband (who was NOT going to go) has passed away a couple weeks ago. Because we will be scattering his ashes at sea (he loved, loved, loved cruising in the Caribbean) the TBD that was contemplating going, has decided to take her husband and they got a separate room.  The cruise is not until next May.  I'm guessing I can't "cancel" that 4th TBD person and we will be paying her share of the cruise.  But if I understand it correctly, the Tax and Port Charge for her will be refunded when we get there as a "no show". We are actually going to be a little more comfortable with 3 of us in the room instead of 4 - so likely will not fill that TBD spot.  Do I need to tell them ahead that there will only be 3 of us?  Or just pay it in full and then hopefully get at least a little refund for tax/port. 

I assume you only have a deposit down.  So it would be cheaper to cancel the cruise and rebook under 3.  But in all honesty all you have to do is call your PVP and they will likely just fix it for you since the cruise is so far out.  Can't hurt to ask. 

So sorry for your loss.  You actually CAN cancel that fourth person.  You may lose the deposit, but that would be all you would lose if you cancel.  You are far enough out, and if you explain the situation, you may get Carnival to not keep the deposit.  A phone call would be worth it.

Thank you for your advice.  I did end up calling Carnival and explained about the death of my husband and the fact that a few others decided to join us since we hope to take his ashes to the Caribbean.  This resulted in our "4" becoming a "3" - as one that was planning on going with us decided to take her husband because of the situation. But we did go from one room to three - so maybe that was the reason - but I was able to cancel the 4th person and was not charged for that person at all.   There is a possibility that they may move us if a 4 person room is needed but the system did at least allow the representative to make the change to 3.

• Like 1