I'm RUNNING to the ship!

Cruise Cat

If you post in a thread and no one else is there, does anyone hear you? Lol

I admire your dedication. We're doing a similar challenge, but a little different. We have a Hawaiian cruise planned in February. It departs out of SF. It just so happens there is a half marathon being run the day before. We have decided to train for the HM, run it, then recover on the ship. It will be my third HM, but my wife's first. With just over three months until the cruise I think our goal will be to run 300 miles, although we might push it to 350 just to make it more challenging prior to race day.

Still on track. We are at 145 miles, or just over 40% to our goal. Still have about seven weeks to go. Need to start getting some longer runs in, which will help push us over the top - barring injuries.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love this. I'm in. I have to go 865 miles to catch my ship. I've got 137 days. That averages 6.3 miles/day. Right now I'm completely sedentary, as in hibernating through the cold months. But every May, first weekend of the month, I walk 39.3 miles in a breast cancer charity walk. March 1, weather or no weather, I start training, and then in May and June I ride my bike a lot. So between walking and biking I should be able to do 865 miles and get to the Liberty on time. As soon as I start moving again, I'll post my progress here.

It's been tough getting runs in because of the weather. Everything is still snow covered and icy. But come March 3rd I'm following a 10k training plan, 3-4 runs a week. Our ship is only 25 miles from home so I'm multiplying that by the number of days our cruise is which is 8. So my new goal is 200 miles by May 12! 192 to go...

Edited by jenny105

We were supposed to get a storm here but only ended up with a dusting. Every time I got a weather alert on my phone, the accumulations kept dropping until eventually the storm was cancelled. It bypassed us and hit south jersey instead! I'm hoping that's it for the season!

lucky you - we didn't dodge that bullet - we got 8" here in Northern VA - VIRGINIA for goodness sake - in MARCH!!! anyway, really gotta get to my cruise so I advanced another mile today - walking on a treadmill - 1 down 852 to go - 128 days to do it

just put in another 4 on my lunch break - 2 on the treadmill, 2 outside - 848 miles to go in 125 days - my Liberty is so far away still, but any other ideas of things I could be doing to get ready for my cruise and to make the time go by more quickly?

nice day - not as nice as the caribbean in july - as in not quite hot enough for me - but got in an 8 mile walk - so 8 down, a measley 840 mi to go - which somehow doesn't intimidate me as much as the 124 days I have to wait:cool:

I'm still. It cleared to do anything but gentle yoga. Driving me crazy. I'm at an appointment today that has me between the first and third floors and I've been taking the stairs just to be able to move.

I give up! Na-ah. Not really. It snowed here again and it's been cold and I don't like cold - we have a Caribbean cruise in July and all that oppressive heat will feel just heavenly. Anyway, only did 2 miles, that was a lunchtime walk today. So 815 miles to go with only 112 days left. Ha! Under any other circumstance I wouldn't say "only" in front of 112 days. That's a whole lotta days to wait for a cruise - but not so many if ya haf ta walk/bike 815 miles to the ship.

Oh, and it's going to snow here again on Tuesday. BUT - next week I'm going to be in Atlantic City for 4 days and I'm going to walk at least 10 miles each day on the beach. My 39 mile fundraising walk is only 6 weeks away and I've gotta get serious about training.

I am finally feeling up to doing some cardio. Went for a brisk 10K walk Wednesday morning. Not cleared for power walking yet, my ribs are still tender and I still get dizzy spells. Took a slow flow yoga class last night and was able to get I to a few of the more advanced poses, but still get really dizzy coming out of Triangle and a couple other poses. Took a spot by the wall to stabilize as needed. Hoping to be back to my usual 30+ miles a week in the next couple of weeks. :)

Good for you, Ducklite. You go, jenny105. Your cruise is so close. I'm a little bit jealous, but mostly I'm just happy for you. We had a random beautiful day here. I walked 2 miles in the morning just to buy bagels. In the afternoon I took a luxurious 11+ mile walk. When I start out I always underestimate how much I love to walk. I just kept on going. It was wonderful. So: 110 days, 802 mi to go.