Crown Princess Alaska May 21st

Crow9

1 hour ago, JeffT237 said:

It sounds like many are doing an email campaign, I encourage those who have not to do so if you feel Princess has not handled this situation adequately.  The bad reviews are everywhere now, not only on CC but also on other platforms and it really has increased on social media. The issue is front and center on Princess's Facebook page. Some of the main cruise YouTube influencers are reporting on the Crown issues and criticizing Princess's position on these sailings.  Will any of this help?  Remains to be seen.  

Those of us on the 05/28 thru 06/18 sailings are receiving no additional compensation whatsoever except for the original $100 Goodwill OBC given to everyone for subbing Icy Strait Point for Ketchikan.  Since Princess knows the ship is unable to handle the itinerary, they changed these four sailings with the time in Juneau cut in half and Icy Point removed.  Since it's now 'published', I guess we are supposed to be fine with the revised scheduled just because we signed the cruise contract and shouldn't complain.

I was going to wait to send a letter until after we returned from the cruise.  But,  maybe it's better to start now.  I hope those of you that did get FCC from your sailings are able to get the cash refunds.  That is really only fair.  We had part of our group that had to sail early, first time on Princess, and they will not sail the cruise line again.  So, the FCC does them no good.

Edited by jk04

2 minutes ago, jk04 said:

Those of us on the 05/28 thru 06/18 sailings are receiving no additional compensation whatsoever except for the original $100 Goodwill OBC given to everyone for subbing Icy Strait Point for Ketchikan.  Since Princess knows the ship is unable to handle the itinerary, they changed these four sailingd with the time in Juneau cut in half and Icy Point removed.  Since it's now 'published', I guess we are supposed to be fine with the revised scheduled just because we signed the cruise contract and shouldn't complain.

I was going to wait to send a letter until after we returned from the cruise.  But,  maybe it's better to start now.  I hope those of you that did get FCC from your sailings are able to get the cash refunds.  That, is really only fair.  We had part of our group that had to sail early, first time on Princess, and they will not sail the cruise line again.  So, the FCC does them no good.

Our group of 6 in 4 cabins would actually cancel our July sailing and book on a different ship at another time under the Cruise with Confidence policy, if it didn't take so darned long to get the refund/FCCs so we could book again. 
I currently have quite a few FCCs from our Coral Covid cruise, but once they are used up this year, we may start looking again at other cruise lines. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, jk04 said:

The problem is not due to unforeseen circumstances such as weather, pandemic, or national emergency or even an unexpected mechanical breakdown, such as the fire on Freedom.  But, a known mechanical issue and the handling of the problem can be done entirely by Princess.  Currently on their website there are other cruises affected for various reasons with alternatives.  The sailings on Crown should be given the same options, move to an equivalent cruise, future cruise credit, or a refund. 

This is why I was so upset.  They  knew about this for two years and didn't fix it.  And then for those of us on the 6/18 sailing they gave us nothing to compensate for a much reduced experience.  

But losing half of Juneau along with Icy Strait Point was my breaking point.  I was willing to pay to move ships.  I have no idea why we were able to under the 30 day window, but all I had to do was call and ask and we were able to move to the Majestic princess leaving the same day from Vancouver one way to Anchorage.  That way  we still got Glacier bay which we wouldn't have from the Discovery. It cost us nothing, in fact because of their current sale it was cheaper which paid for the return flights from Anchorage.  For us our vacation is salvaged and I am very grateful.  

I know that isn't possible for everyone if you have to fly in.  I'm glad for those on the Crown who are enjoying the experience.  But for us Princess, made it right.  

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, BobbySu said:

This is why I was so upset.  They  knew about this for two years and didn't fix it.  And then for those of us on the 6/18 sailing they gave us nothing to compensate for a much reduced experience.  

But losing half of Juneau along with Icy Strait Point was my breaking point.  I was willing to pay to move ships.  I have no idea why we were able to under the 30 day window, but all I had to do was call and ask and we were able to move to the Majestic princess leaving the same day from Vancouver one way to Anchorage.  That way  we still got Glacier bay which we wouldn't have from the Discovery. It cost us nothing, in fact because of their current sale it was cheaper which paid for the return flights from Anchorage.  For us our vacation is salvaged and I am very grateful.  

I know that isn't possible for everyone if you have to fly in.  I'm glad for those on the Crown who are enjoying the experience.  But for us Princess, made it right.  

I'm glad you were able to move to an equivalent cruise with no penalty.  Unfortunately, some tried to do the same and Princess wanted cancellation fees and other fare adjustments and it was going to be a fairly substantial increase.

We made the, probably unwise, decision to stay with Crown early on assuming the issues would decrease by June, not increase.  We also have the remainder of our group in multiple cabins flying from different locations.  Just trying to coordinate that, along with the additional airfare expense some may not be able to afford, didn't make switching an option.  Even a different date is difficult with work schedules, a care-taker for my Mom, etc.

We are not interested in a FCC, so we are going to take the cruise, make the best of it, enjoy our family and friends, and maybe make some new CC friends along the way.  I've heard the crew is outstanding and you can't beat the scenery. :classic_smile:

• Like 3

I plan to make the most of it as well. I don't know that I will ever go back to Alaska which is why this is so frustrating, but I'm hoping for the best experience possible.

I won't take my frustrations out on the crew, who I suspect at this point is very weary of unhappy cruisers coming on board and knows it will continue until late July.

But I do plan to continue my efforts to receive something meaningful in return from Princess for putting us in this situation.

If I do happen to get an FCC , the next Princess cruise I take will not be port focused. Cruise around the Caribbean and drink all day.

Edited by Riley_Mon
  • Like 7

On 6/2/2022 at 6:33 PM, jk04 said:

I'm glad you were able to move to an equivalent cruise with no penalty.  Unfortunately, some tried to do the same and Princess wanted cancellation fees and other fare adjustments and it was going to be a fairly substantial increase.

We made the, probably unwise, decision to stay with Crown early on assuming the issues would decrease by June, not increase.  We also have the remainder of our group in multiple cabins flying from different locations.  Just trying to coordinate that, along with the additional airfare expense some may not be able to afford, didn't make switching an option.  Even a different date is difficult with work schedules, a care-taker for my Mom, etc.

We are not interested in a FCC, so we are going to take the cruise, make the best of it, enjoy our family and friends, and maybe make some new CC friends along the way.  I've heard the crew is outstanding and you can't beat the scenery. :classic_smile:

Good attitude...we are trying to do the same.  I would have switched to another ship but logistics with 6 of us trying to change flights, rework work schedules,  settling for a lesser cabin (We have aft/stern  cabins)etc. just made it so stressful to even contemplate.  My family is ok with  still doing the Crown in July...just hope we aren't making a big mistake.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:43 PM, jk04 said:

Those of us on the 05/28 thru 06/18 sailings are receiving no additional compensation whatsoever except for the original $100 Goodwill OBC given to everyone for subbing Icy Strait Point for Ketchikan.  Since Princess knows the ship is unable to handle the itinerary, they changed these four sailings with the time in Juneau cut in half and Icy Point removed.  Since it's now 'published', I guess we are supposed to be fine with the revised scheduled just because we signed the cruise contract and shouldn't complain.

I was going to wait to send a letter until after we returned from the cruise.  But,  maybe it's better to start now.  I hope those of you that did get FCC from your sailings are able to get the cash refunds.  That is really only fair.  We had part of our group that had to sail early, first time on Princess, and they will not sail the cruise line again.  So, the FCC does them no good.

The Assistant Hotel Manager told us that the more people complain the more likely everyone is to receive additional compensation; I guess the saying goes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That's why we got more, people were down at guest services and the shore excursion desk complaining to upper management.

33 minutes ago, Sailor75 said:

The Assistant Hotel Manager told us that the more people complain the more likely everyone is to receive additional compensation; I guess the saying goes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That's why we got more, people were down at guest services and the shore excursion desk complaining to upper management.

Strange you got a different reply than what I got from the front desk. I complained in a nice way. Stating that the itinerary changed last min for us (may28 sailing) and we should have gotten something like the previous sailing.  The front desk said the decision comes from the front corp office, not them so they don’t have any control over it.

im sure many people complained on the May 28 but we haven’t gotten any extra compensation.  I don’t know if we ever will.

I completed my survey and pretty much gave a zero on everything except for the stateroom steward.  Wrote some good comments.  I just don’t know if they read them or care about the comments.

My experience with Carnival is guest services usually lies or makes things up if they don't have the answer. I agree that you should get the same compensation as we got as you got the same cruise as us. I think the difference is that we complained to the people wearing white. Princess is still selling this cruise in June with a stop in Icy Strait Point and a full day in Juneau knowing they can't do it and changing the iteniary as the weeks go along, that's immoral and wrong. I guess Princess puts profits over people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

My experience with Carnival is guest services usually lies or makes things up if they don't have the answer. I agree that you should get the same compensation as we got as you got the same cruise as us. I think the difference is that we complained to the people wearing white. Princess is still selling this cruise in June with a stop in Icy Strait Point and a full day in Juneau knowing they can't do it and changing the iteniary as the weeks go along, that's immoral and wrong. I guess Princess puts profits over people.

And we're sailing in July...let's see how it goes.
It's almost as if Princess thinks none of us cruising in the next few months know a thing about the Crown problems and the itinerary changes.  So they lull us into a sense of security thinking our cruise will remain the same. And then changing it at the last minute.  Yup, profits over people.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I got an email last night from Princess saying my 20% FCC is now 50%, I know one other person got this too; has anyone else received this? Just wondering if it's survey related or they're just giving it to everyone.

3 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

I got an email last night from Princess saying my 20% FCC is now 50%, I know one other person got this too; has anyone else received this? Just wondering if it's survey related or they're just giving it to everyone.

It appears to be across the board. The letter doesn't say anything about the survey. 

4 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

Was this after you cruised?

2 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

Yes, after my cruise on May 21.

Are you happy with it?  I wonder if you will all get it? And if we will get it too. (sailing in July, despite the change in itinerary--just too involved to change.

).

Edited by suzyed

20 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Are you happy with it?  I wonder if you will all get it? And if we will get it too. (sailing in July, despite the change in itinerary--just too involved to change.

).

I'm happy with it and the $300 onboard credit per person we received, still waiting on that check to come though. I think the credit will actually give me a free cruise with what I spent on Alaska. I will book one more to use the credit, but then I'm done with Princess; maybe I'm not too happy. It looks like the almost brand new Sky is now experiencing propulsion issues too. I put this out there to let people know, so hopefully they get it too.

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

).

I just discovered a thread on this 50% FCC, apparently everyone is getting it that has cruised so far; I hope you get it too, you should.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sailor75 said:

I'm happy with it and the $300 onboard credit per person we received, still waiting on that check to come though. I think the credit will actually give me a free cruise with what I spent on Alaska. I will book one more to use the credit, but then I'm done with Princess; maybe I'm not too happy. It looks like the almost brand new Sky is now experiencing propulsion issues too. I put this out there to let people know, so hopefully they get it too.

Oh no!  We were on the Sky earlier this year and it was wonderful!
I guess all ships can have issues but what is happening with the Crown never should have been. Last I looked they are still selling it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2022 at 7:14 PM, Sailor75 said:

Were they addressing a particular issue related to your sailing?  Did you get a letter that you  could share with us?

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Were they addressing a particular issue related to your sailing?  Did you get a letter that you  could share with us?

Everyone got that one that were on the early Crown sailings. Paid 50% of my Sea of Cortez cruise