First time on P&O - Azura November 11th

DropThePuck

As the title says, we will be having our first cruise on a P & O ship in November around the Canary Islands and Madeira. It will be first te back to the Canaries since 1973, when we sailed on the Union Castle Reina del Mar from Southampton. This time we start from Tenerife.

My wife and I did a staycation on Regal Princess last year, which was lovely, and prior to that on Celebrity Galaxy around the Southern Caribbean in 1999.

It is my 60th birthday in November this year. All I could think about was being on a cruise ship on my 60th. My choices were limited, as I didn't want to fly too far, be away for more than 10 days and didn't want to spend a fortune. So, this cruise fit the bill.

So, how will we find the Azura against Princess and the 1990's Galaxy that we sailed on. I'll leave the Reina del Mar out of the comparison 😀

I have booked outside balcony R201. Once again, choices were limited. Any thoughts on this location?  Flights have not been confirmed yet - I am doing these through P&O - any idea when they would be released?

As far as The Canaries are concerned, will it still be quite warm in mid November? I realise Madeira quite a way north, so will be cooler.

Many thanks for any thoughts, tips, etc

55 minutes ago, DropThePuck said:

As the title says, we will be having our first cruise on a P & O ship in November around the Canary Islands and Madeira. It will be first te back to the Canaries since 1973, when we sailed on the Union Castle Reina del Mar from Southampton. This time we start from Tenerife.

My wife and I did a staycation on Regal Princess last year, which was lovely, and prior to that on Celebrity Galaxy around the Southern Caribbean in 1999.

It is my 60th birthday in November this year. All I could think about was being on a cruise ship on my 60th. My choices were limited, as I didn't want to fly too far, be away for more than 10 days and didn't want to spend a fortune. So, this cruise fit the bill.

So, how will we find the Azura against Princess and the 1990's Galaxy that we sailed on. I'll leave the Reina del Mar out of the comparison 😀

I have booked outside balcony R201. Once again, choices were limited. Any thoughts on this location?  Flights have not been confirmed yet - I am doing these through P&O - any idea when they would be released?

As far as The Canaries are concerned, will it still be quite warm in mid November? I realise Madeira quite a way north, so will be cooler.

Many thanks for any thoughts, tips, etc

It is always difficult to determine the weather but it should be warm. You probably won't see a massive difference between P&O and Princess, there will likely be more Brits on Azura, plus other little nuances. Tips are included with the P&O price but of course you can still give to anyone who you feel deserve it. Azura is a lovely ship, enjoy your cruise and have a happy 60th birthday.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is always difficult to determine the weather but it should be warm. You probably won't see a massive difference between P&O and Princess, there will likely be more Brits on Azura, plus other little nuances. Tips are included with the P&O price but of course you can still give to anyone who you feel deserve it. Azura is a lovely ship, enjoy your cruise and have a happy 60th birthday.

Thanks. Much appreciated. We always tip extra for those that have had a good impact on our cruise.

Our staycation on Princess was all Brits. It was only 4 days, but really nice. The cabins look remarkably similar.

We are really looking forward to it. I have only ever done 5 cruises, but now it seems they will be becoming part of my impending retirement years holiday routine. It is amazing to wake up in a different country.

• Like 1

We are in the Canaries in November on Marella so we might see you! We are hoping it will be warm. We went on the same trip in March and it was freezing. If you go to La  Gomera, don’’t bother with  the cheese “factory”.we went in March and it was a rip off. 

4 hours ago, pennib said:

We are in the Canaries in November on Marella so we might see you! We are hoping it will be warm. We went on the same trip in March and it was freezing. If you go to La  Gomera, don’’t bother with  the cheese “factory”.we went in March and it was a rip off. 

Thanks for the tip. If you are on the Marella Explorer, that was originally the Celebrity Galaxy, which we sailed on in 1999. Lovely ship.

My memories of the Canaries as an 11 year old boy are Mount Teide in Tenerife and black sand in Las Palmas (Gran Canaria). I also remember the wicker ride in Madeira.