Text communication

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Ship wifi isolates individual devices.  It's not like home wifi where devices have complete and full access across the WLAN.  Connecting to the ship wifi will not allow direct communication with other devices attached to the ship WLAN.

I've tried a number of apps that rely on direct communication between LAN connected devices.  However feel feel to try it, maybe you'll come across an app that works in some other manner.   

OK, well, I guess that kills that great idea!  I don't need it - we always pay for Voom, but I was thinking it might be an option for people who don't need Internet, but do need to communicate while onboard.  

3 minutes ago, rudeney said:

OK, well, I guess that kills that great idea!  I don't need it - we always pay for Voom, but I was thinking it might be an option for people who don't need Internet, but do need to communicate while onboard.  

If direct communication was allowed it would be way too easy to setup a proxy on the network and allow multiple devices to share internet access through a laptop back in a cabin.  There are other reasons to isolate wifi clients but the first one is a good one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rudeney said:

I suspect it used Bluetooth, which has a very short range.  I'm still researching to find one that works on a wifi network without Internet where all you have is a local IP address.

Our family members used Bluetooth so that people couldn’t hear the other person talking and it worked great.  I don’t think it was a very expensive one.  They bought two sets.  Luck of the draw I guess.  🤷‍♀️

Edited by iuki
typo