Covid Test After Testing Positive

Venicegal

I just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise last Saturday and tested positive on Monday morning. I'm scheduled to cruise again next Saturday.  I have a positive test from Walgreens that will be more than 10 days from sail date. I'm afraid I will still test positive 2 days before the cruise. Is there anything else I need to get like a note from my doctor showing that I have recovered?

33 minutes ago, Venicegal said:

I just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise last Saturday and tested positive on Monday morning. I'm scheduled to cruise again next Saturday.  I have a positive test from Walgreens that will be more than 10 days from sail date. I'm afraid I will still test positive 2 days before the cruise. Is there anything else I need to get like a note from my doctor showing that I have recovered?

I believe you do need a "document of recovery" IF you continue to test positive right before your cruise. (You may be lucky and test negative by then, but this varies a great deal between cases.) The document of recovery needs to be from a medical provider.

Of course, you must also NO LONGER HAVE SYMPTOMS if you're going to sail. (You don't mention feeling ill, so I certainly hope this is the case for you.) A letter documenting recovery does depend upon you having recovered from the infection.

Does the Walgreens where you got your official + test have one of those on site, walk in medical clinics? Since they did the test, that might be a simple way to get a letter from a clinician. Or if your regular doctor is responsive and easy to reach, showing the Walgreens test to him/her could also work.

I believe if you get this document, you won't have to pay for another pre-boarding test, but you'll want to double check that in the rules as of your date of travel. If I were recovered, I might get the letter of recovery ASAP just to check that item off my pre-boarding list, but I don't have personal experience with this scenario (and hope I will not.)

• Like 1

This is the current FAQ in their website. Not liking the "at (their) discretion" part...

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within three months of their embarkation, do not need to get a viral test before embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, have no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19 infection. 

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following: 

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago), or 
  • A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an official health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection. 

Guests who present these documents will need to go through a secondary screening at the terminal and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion. If guests are not able to obtain documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements, they will need to take the required COVID-19 viral test and show a negative result. 

This happened to my husband before our Alaska land / sea tour with HAL a couple of weeks ago. He tested positive 12 days prior to our cruise start, 8 days prior to our land start. He was symptom free though and the day before we were flying he went to Care Now and got a letter of recovery saying he could return to work / travel. Thankfully he didn't need it as when we tested in Denali for our cruise he was negative at that time.

• Like 1