Another Conquest Feb 19th review

5Stringer

We just returned from the Conquest and here is a review.

Overall we were very pleased with the cruise. This is our second Carnival cruise, but the first one with the kids. Being from Canada, our flights took us into Bush International, so the additional shuttle from Bush to Galveston was a bit of a hassle. We used Galveston Limo, and the bus was at the airport to meet us on time, but we didn't leave the airport property until 1 hour later.

Embarkation went fairly smoothly, and our rooms on the main floor were as expected.Because the kids had a room of their own which had to be directly across the hall from our we knew our chance of upgrade was slim,

so we were happy with the rooms we got.

PORTS

Jamaica: There was a lot of talk and warnings about Jamaica, but we went to Doctors Cave beach and had a great time. It got crowded as the day wore on but by then we headed off to Margaritaville. I'm not sure what all the hype was about this place (although the water slide is wickedly fast) but at least I can say I've been there.

Suggestions: Don't give anyone your name or you may be pushed into buying a trinket with your name quickly put on it, and don't accept any "free" gifts from anyone, who will hit you up for cash soon after.

We really enjoyed Jamaica, although upon our return to the boat we heard of a passenger who was robbed on the island. (unsubstantiated)

Grand Cayman: I was looking for the bartering and deals like I found in Jamaica, but it wasn't to be here. Found some very nice quality items though.

The tour we took was with Native Way to Stingray city. It was a great trip with good tour guides and some pictures and memories my kids will have for a long time.

Cozumel: We spent the day at Paradise Beach, a $ 13.00 cab fare each way, plus a $ 8.00 admission charge each, which gave us use of the water trampoline, iceberg, kayak and snorkeling gear. We went there first and got great spot and umbrella, though this beach also got quite busy later. A good time was had by all.

The only complaint I had was with the return tender. We waited 50 minutes in the hot sun to board, and when a empty tender came,we were passed by about 200 people before we could get on. Some better organization would have been nice.:mad:

We were overall quite pleased with the Conquest and it's staff. My only observation is that this ship was full to the rafters, and although the staff performed admirably, I'm not sure if the infrastructure of the Conquest can handle this many people. We had to deal with a few things such as empty coffee machines, long lines for food and the pursers desk.But like I said, the service was top notch.

My only complaints have nothing to do with Carnival, one being the old "saved deck chair" system. It seemed that at any one time only about 50 percent of the deck chairs on the main area on the Lido deck were being actively used. Luckily we had a good spot for the sea days, but that involved getting up on deck by 8:30.

We had a issue where my teenage daughter was sexually harassed by a teenage passenger, and I give kudo's to the Camp Carnival and Carnival Security staff who dealt with this situation and offender thoroughly and professionally.

Being from Canada, I had to try to explain to my kids why twice when Canada was mentioned on the microphone, we were booed by some of the passengers.(again, not Carnival's fault)

Debarkation: I didn't know they debarked from the top floor down, so we had a bit of a wait, being on the main floor. Luckily we stayed in our rooms for the most of it, until our steward needed access to get it set up for the next cruise, which we then went to the Toulouse lounge to wait.

We were off the ship by 10:00 and through customs by 10:30.

Overall, we had a great time. Already the kids are planning their next cruise!! Well see.

We had a issue where my teenage daughter was sexually harassed by a teenage passenger, and I give kudo's to the Camp Carnival and Carnival Security staff who dealt with this situation and offender thoroughly and professionally.

Being from Canada, I had to try to explain to my kids why twice when Canada was mentioned on the microphone, we were booed by some of the passengers.(again, not Carnival's fault)

I have a teenage daughter.....could you elaborate on how the Camp Carnival staff and security staff dealt with the situation.

Why would other passengers boo when Canada was mentioned? I don't understand.

I was in the lounge when the entertainment director announced she was from Canada and was boo'd, I was embarrassed to be from the USA at that moment. Networks like Fox News should be put out of business for promoting that kind of hatred (yes I've read accounts of them doing that on Fox)

Canada is a beautiful country and a good neighbor and I'd be proud if I were from there!

Basically we reported the incident to her Camp Carnival counselor, not that they were to blame as this happened after camp had ended for the night.

Her response was that we should file a complaint with security to hopefully prevent the possibibility of any further incidents.

Security had us fill out a written report, helped us scour the ship to find the boy, and when we couldn't find him they had my daughter go through a lot of pictures to ID him. When we eventually did find him, He was called to the security office with his guardian. There was then a face to face meeting with the kids, parents and security.

It ended amicably with the guardian being very apologetic for his behavior and us leaving feeling security dealt with it thoroughly.

My recommendations to you regarding your daughter: Have your own copy of the Camp Carnival itinerary for your child's group so you know where they are. Also have a notepad so your child can communicate with you if they are going somewhere. eg. Pizzeria. and let them know where to find you.

At the end of Camp Carnival for the day, ensure they walk back to the room with someone, or have them call you to go meet them.

There are phones by the elevators and in Camp Carnival for use.

This is not to slight Camp Carnival. Beside this one incident my daughter had a fantastic time and met some very nice kids her age who all got along great during the cruise.

This ship had 2975 passengers, which is like a small city. There is a lot of late night activity going on, including kids out roaming the ship at late/early hours when they should be sleeping.

Archived