Only 5 Hours in Kauai -- Need Guidance

amyj23

Our cruise recently eliminated our stop in Kona and replaced it with Kauai. We will only be there from 10am to 4pm. I say 5 hours b/c I never count on being off the ship until about 30 min after we pull in, and we have to be back on board by 3:30pm. We had a snorkel excursion planned for Kona and were really disappointed that we will miss that. It was the only port where we were going to snorkel. Carnival is not offering a snorkel excursion, and it looks like the private outfits either don't go out on Sundays, leave before our ship gets in, or they don't go out close to the port. I considered a helicopter or plane ride, but the prices are just too much. I've been researching online and watching Youtube videos with suggestions for Kauai all evening. My current idea is to simply rent a car from Turo and go to Poipu Beach and walk around the area there. I just don't think we have the time to really get a good day of sightseeing in. And I don't know that we're going to be at a beach to swim in any other port we go to. So I thought maybe this was our chance. My biggest concern is that I've read parking fills up fast, and to get there early. Well, we can't get there early. We can't go any earlier than we get off the ship and get our car. I've read there's ample parking, and I've also read that it could be completely full. Since it's a Sunday, I'm especially concerned. I'd hate for us to rent a car and then not even be able to go to the beach. Any locals on here or people who have spent time in Kauai who can advise? I just want to make the best decision so we make the most of our day. Thank you!

If you can make it to Poipu beach I highly recommend it.  Nice beach and good snorkeling.  You can rent chairs, umbrella and snorkel gear from Boss Frogs located inside the Beach House Restaurant.

if you feel like that’s too difficult time wise, Kalapaki Beach is very close to where you dock.  Don’t know about the snorkeling there but you can rent chairs, umbrella at a nearby beach shack.  Dukes restaurant is located right there on the beach for a wonderful lunch and don’t forget to try their famous Hula Pie dessert.  

Thank you both. You've given our group something to think about. I really want to see Poipu Beach. I just keep reading and seeing rave reviews about it. But of course, we'd use time retrieving our rental vehicles, and then it's about 30 min to drive down there. I just looked up Kalapaki and it looks gorgeous. We are probably not hitting Duke's in Waikiki so this could be my chance to go! Let me pass on your wisdom to our group and see what they say. I appreciate your advice! 😃

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 4:35 PM, amyj23 said:

Thank you both. You've given our group something to think about. I really want to see Poipu Beach. I just keep reading and seeing rave reviews about it. But of course, we'd use time retrieving our rental vehicles, and then it's about 30 min to drive down there.

Poipu Beach is a great place to vacation, we do it almost every year, but I don't find it an amazing beach or especially beautiful.Hanalei Beach and Kalapaki Beach are prettier settings.

In a short time, Kalapaki and Duke's sound like a winner to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 12:01 PM, scottca075 said:

Poipu Beach is a great place to vacation, we do it almost every year, but I don't find it an amazing beach or especially beautiful.Hanalei Beach and Kalapaki Beach are prettier settings.

Ok great! I booked a reservation for Dukes' brunch yesterday. I'm excited for a beautiful day with great food! And low stress. 😃

• Like 1

Hey Amy, We are from Nashville, Tn and we just booked this cruise last month. We have been to Duke’s in Malibu several times and really love their brunch! Is Kalapaki beach and Duke’s within walking distance from the port? I am just now looking into shore excursions. Thanks!

1 hour ago, kipmom said:

Hey Amy, We are from Nashville, Tn and we just booked this cruise last month. We have been to Duke’s in Malibu several times and really love their brunch! Is Kalapaki beach and Duke’s within walking distance from the port? I am just now looking into shore excursions. Thanks!

See below.

https://goo.gl/maps/7wh6VTBvuwPJRdab6

On 7/14/2022 at 1:01 PM, scottca075 said:

Do Kalapaki or Hanalei beaches offer chair and umbrella rentals?  TIA.

3 hours ago, nina_930 said:

I don't recall either at either beach, but I never use chairs or umbrellas so I've never looked for them. Kalapaki might, but I doubt Hanalei will.

5 hours ago, nina_930 said:

https://kauaibeachboys.com/rentals/2-lounge-chairs-umbrella/

Check out the above website.  Last time we spent 2-3 hrs on Kalapaki beach we rented  chairs/umbrellas, pretty sure from the Kauai beach boys 

• Thanks 1

Former Kauai resident here… hanging out at Kalapaki beach is a good option with only a 5 hour stop. Make sure to check out the courtyard, and reception area at the resort where you’ll find art, sculptures, gardens, and more. There are several pretty good restaurants across the street at the “mall.” We like S.E.A restaurant’s avocado curry, and drunken noodles.

Several shops in Hanalei in either shopping area rent chairs, etc. for the beach.