Covid Vaccination Waivers?

vcmds

I'm sorry to have to bring up Covid again, but we are scheduled to be on the Westerdam on September 4.  My husband and I are travelling with our daughter and my mother-in-law.  According to my daughter, my MIL cannot be vaccinated due to her chemo treatments.  Does HAL allow any kind of waiver for people who cannot be vaccinated?  My daughter is currently out of the country and is planning to try and get in touch with HAL on Monday.  I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this.  Please be kind with answers.  I don't know anything about cancer and possible problems with the Covid vaccine, and I can't believe my daughter hadn't checked on this before now (she's in charge of my MIL's reservation).  

I wonder if MIL has had Evusheld? It’s a monoclonal antibody used are pre exposure profolactic.  It’s not meant to replace vaccination, but augment it for people who are less likely to respond to vaccination. FWIW, from what I understand (2x cancer patient, finished second treatment right before pandemic), its less a can’t be vaccinated and more a that chemo surprises the cells that would be making the antibodies, so I wouldn’t do much good.  Anyway, my cancer center is giving everyone evusheld, and maybe a cruise line would accept it?  I would guess they wouldn’t be super familiar with it, because most people immunosuppressive enough to qualify for evusheld would probably be recommended away from cruising. 

But, from what I’ve read on other lines, there is the 10% unvaccinated allowed on the ships, and adults can apply for that. Calling HAL is your best answer. 

Edited by rubytue
  • Like 2