Can You Hotspot Your Phone W/ Internet Package?

jimmymed3

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know if you can buy just one internet package for your phone, and then use your phone as a hotspot to get internet to your laptop for email? Im sure they may have found a way to prevent people from doing this, but thought id ask. 

Thanks!

The internet speeds, at least on the Divina, are laughably slow.  0.024 down is what some are getting.  On my cruise I had to log off and log on to the ships wifi 3 to 4 times a day just to make it work.  On Symphony i had what i felt was near fiber speeds.  Good luck 

4 hours ago, ferretktf said:

Yes

Could you elaborate on what phone and mobile operating system allow sharing bridging from wi-fi to wi-fi? As I said above, hotspot provides the ability to bridge internet connectivity from cellular to someone as wi-fi. But I am mostly knowledgeable about iOS devices.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jimmymed3 said:

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know if you can buy just one internet package for your phone, and then use your phone as a hotspot to get internet to your laptop for email? Im sure they may have found a way to prevent people from doing this, but thought id ask. 

Thanks!

I don't think you can, because of I remember correctly, you need to be in airplane mode with the ships WiFi, right? 

You can with a Windows laptop (connect to the cruise ship wi-fi, then 'share this connection' on the laptop). 

You can also use a wi-fi range extender, something like a TP-Link N150. I personally use a TL-WR702N when I'm travelling from work & need to connect several devices to device limited hotel room wi-fi. The WR702N is tiny and is powered by USB, so it can run off a powerbank if required. 

You should test out whatever you decide to use at home before your trip. 

8 hours ago, lb154 said:

You can with a Windows laptop (connect to the cruise ship wi-fi, then 'share this connection' on the laptop). 

You can also use a wi-fi range extender,

Yes, my answer above was in the context of using the phone hotspot. If you extend the question to using other hardware, then there are many workarounds. However, if your package is only one device and that device is your travel router, then you'd need to take it with you around the ship if you wanted wi-fi other than in your room.