Freedom of the Seas - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Lupush

Just returned from a 4 night cruise on Freedom of the Seas on Friday and wanted to share some highlights (and lowlights). 

The Good

Check-In - Parked my car and was onboard the ship in 20 minutes.  Probably the fastest and easiest check-in of any cruise I've been on.

Coco Cay - I was blown away by Coco Cay, RCCL absolutely nailed it with their private island.  My son and I did the Thrill Waterpark and it did not disappoint, worth every penny.

Johnny Rockets - I never have Johnny Rockets on land, and forgot how good it was.  Service and food were great.

Bingo - Bingo host George was great and made it fun for all ages.  My 9 year old had a great time and looked forward to Bingo everyday.

Giovannis Table - I was impressed with how good Giovanni's was.  It was easily the best Italian I've had at sea.

No COVID Testing - This was the first cruise that RCCL did where COVID testing was not required for vaccinated guests.  Was a JOY not having to go through that hassle.

The Bad

Food - Even with the Dining Package the food was pretty bad overall.  Giovanni's was decent, and the food in Playmakers was good despite absolutely awful service.  Did the buffet for Breakfast one morning and it was absolutely inedible, avoided it the rest of the trip.  Compared to NCL, RCCL's food can't compare.

Cabin - We were in a balcony cabin and the condition was pretty worn overall.  Broken drawers and shelving, loose fixtures, and just a pretty drab feel overall.  I know this is an older ship, but I was surprised at how bad the cabin was considering it was refurbished not too long ago.

Internet - I don't know what Royal is talking about with the "fastest internet at sea".  I got the Key with the surf and stream internet and when it worked it was extremely slow and streaming was impossible.

The Key - The Key is a total money grab and not worth it at all.  The only reason I did it was for the Internet Access which was terrible.  The welcome lunch was not good, and there were no benefits as a Key guest during check in that I would not have received otherwise.  

Service at Playmakers - The service at Playmakers was the absolute worst I've ever experienced on a cruise ship.  Disorganized and salty wait staff, and a complete free for all with seating.  The food was good once it came, but the wait to get served was atrocious.  My son and I were sitting for almost 30 minutes before anyone even acknowledged our presence.  What could have been a highlight for us turned into a lowlight due to the poor service and attitude of staff.

The Ugly

Service - Overall the service on the ship was a mixed bag.  Some employees were always smiling and ready to help, while others looked absolutely miserable.  

Flowrider Wait Times - I get that this is a popular attraction, but they have to extend hours to make this more accessible.  On a port day, when the ship was empty it was still a 45 minute wait to ride the Flowrider.   In the middle of August, waiting on a deck with no shade was not pleasant at all.

Nassau - I understand why all ships stop there, but for me Nassau is a really crappy destination.  I really wish more lines would consider Bimini for their short itineraries.

Final Thoughts

For a short cruise, Freedom of the Seas was fine as long as you know what to expect.  Do not expect the same kind of attention to detail and quality that you would find on the newer ships.  Overall I'd give it a 6.5/10.  I'd do another sailing as long as it was for 4 nights or less.  

• Like 3