CD / DVD player in standard cabins on Zaandam?

jeph

I went on a Norway cruise in 2018 on the previous version of the Rotterdam with some friends from my town, and one of the nice features was a big selection of DVD's one could check out from the front desk, library-style, to play in your cabin.

1) Does the Zaandam have in-cabin players hooked up to the televisions?

2) If so, do they also function as CD players in case I want to bring a few music favorites from home?

3) And does Zaandam also offer DVD's for loan at the Guest Services desk?

Any up-to-date info on this will be much appreciated! 🙂

Just got off the 35 -ay Viking Cruise on Zaandam. My cabin, an oceanview, deck three midship, had a 'new' tv, and a DVD player which started to burn up as soon as I tried to use it, causing quite a stir when the fumes activated the fire alarm. I was eventually given a new DVD player, after having made many trips and many phone calls to Customer Service (because the squeaky wheel gets the oil, especially on HAL). I had broght my own DVD player anyhow, as a back up of course, because this wasn't my first rodeo. I also brought my own DVD's; there are NONE available anywhere on the ship. I learned decades ago that it's a good idea to bring my own forms of in-room entertanment. The tv in my cabin offered a few movie channels, and a few news channels, but the reception was sketchy, and the picure quality was terrible. There are some evenings, especially on a long voyage, where I just want to curl up in my cabin and enjoy a good movie, so I make sure that's possible and I no longer expect HAL to privide it. 

• Like 1

Bobbi, as "the kids" say, your response to my query was "fire"!  🤣

I just never dreamed it would be LITERALLY fire! 😨🤣

Sorry to hear about your misfortune...Also sorry to hear that the movie situation onboard will not be up to what HAL had made available in 2018, but I will try to bring a few fave CD's along for the music side of things in any case. 🤞🙃

• Like 1

Was also on VoV just got off last week. When in that area of the world, reception is poor so bringing your own is advised. The hotel manager said the ship is wired for the new system but due to "supply chain" issues new TV/components won't be in until September.  I know people have downloaded/streamed shows to their devices and watched during the cruise and our TV did have a USB port visible on the side but not sure if its usable as we did not try it.