Recent status of Boston MBTA (the T)?

joyandjerry

Earlier posts this season have mentioned some problems with Boston public trans. Jerry and I are going on a B2B, and will be there in mid October. (That is, if we don't test positive on the ship!) I was just going to get a cab to the MFA, but the museums are closed on Tuesdays (bummer!). Plan B is either the Aquarium and Quincy Market or Harvard (Cambridge). We have done the Freedom Trail and the HOHO on prior visits. Anyone have any experience with these destinations recently? I saw that the Aquarium is near South Station on the Silver line. Walking no problem for us.

Edited by joyandjerry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, joyandjerry said:

Earlier posts this season have mentioned some problems with Boston public trans. Jerry and I are going on a B2B, and will be there in mid October. (That is, if we don't test positive on the ship!) I was just going to get a cab to the MFA, but the museums are closed on Tuesdays (bummer!). Plan B is either the Aquarium and Quincy Market or Harvard (Cambridge). We have done the Freedom Trail and the HOHO on prior visits. Anyone have any experience with these destinations recently? I saw that the Aquarium is near South Station on the Silver line. Walking no problem for us.

Bostonian here. The Orange Line on the T has been closed for almost a month and that's the havoc you've been hearing about. Fortunately, it is due to reopen on Sept 19 so hopefully the chaos is long gone by the time you visit. There's also some closures on the Green Line but in the Somerville/Cambridge area, not the area near the MFA. 

The Silver Line buses from the cruise terminal end at South Station. The Aquarium is not on the Silver Line but has it's own stop on the Blue Line. It's also just a few blocks from the State stop on the Orange Line. Going from South Station to the Aquarium stop would entail transferring to the Red Line, then the Orange Line, then the Blue line - and going one stop each. You could also get off at State (Red, then Orange) and walk a few blocks or just walk from South Station for about 15 minutes. Its a nice walk along the harbor or the greenway.  

Harvard would be super easy from South Station. Just take the Red Line towards Alewife and get off at the Harvard stop. 

Bonus tip: the Custom House Tower observation deck. The Custom House is one of the most iconic buildings in Boston but it's now a Marriott Vacation Club Resort. Fortunately, they let the public go up to the observation deck once a day at 2:00, except on Fridays. Last time I went, it was less than $10 and they donate the proceeds to charity (Children's Hospital last I heard). The views of the harbor are amazing and it's only a block from Quincy Market. Since COVID, I think you have to call and reserve a spot -617-310–6300. 

Enjoy your day in Boston! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, joyandjerry said:

@marlenecook, approximately how long would it take from the Black Falcon port to the Harvard/Cambridge area? I want to make sure I allow enough time to get back to the ship!

Silver Line should take about 10 minutes from the port to South Station. And it's about 15 minutes from South Station to Harvard. Plus whatever time you spend waiting. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 7:07 AM, joyandjerry said:

Approximate fees? Do the machines take cards, bills, coins? Many years ago I vaguely remember using a credit card. Jerry is over 65. 

Machines take credit cards for sure.  I don't recall if they take cash.  And you have to add "waiting time" to the trip calculation.  I included that in my 45 minute estimate.

• Thanks 1

Marlenecook-

We plan on taking the bus to South Station and then the T to Cambridge during our port day next week.

(1) Does the bus accept dollar bills? The fare is $1.70 pp.

(2) Since we plan to transfer to the T, do we pay the higher T fare ($2.40 pp) on the bus and then ask for a "paper or transfer ticket" from the driver? 

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Dushi said:

Marlenecook-

We plan on taking the bus to South Station and then the T to Cambridge during our port day next week.

(1) Does the bus accept dollar bills? The fare is $1.70 pp.

(2) Since we plan to transfer to the T, do we pay the higher T fare ($2.40 pp) on the bus and then ask for a "paper or transfer ticket" from the driver? 

Thanks.

Great questions - I have the same ones!

I live in Boston and have a Charlie Card, but in terms of paying with cash, you can do that on Silver Line buses that you board above ground. Note, even though the Silver Line is a bus, it is the full fare of the a subway ($2.40). You don't need to pay with exact change, but if you don't, the rest will be put on a Charlie Ticket. If there are two of you, you should be able to feed it a $5, have it spit out a Charlie Ticket with $2.60, and then have the other person use it, but I'll be honest, I haven't paid in case in probably a decade, so I'm not 100% sure.

You don't need a transfer if you are taking it to South Station, because it drops you off inside the gates. You can just walk downstairs to the Red Line. Similarly, if you are taking it back from Cambridge, you can buy a Charlie Ticket in the station (make sure not to go into an entrance marked "Charlie Card Only"), go through the gates to the Red Line, and then just hop on the Silver Line - no need to show your ticket.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rubyfisch said:

I live in Boston and have a Charlie Card, but in terms of paying with cash, you can do that on Silver Line buses that you board above ground. Note, even though the Silver Line is a bus, it is the full fare of the a subway ($2.40). You don't need to pay with exact change, but if you don't, the rest will be put on a Charlie Ticket. If there are two of you, you should be able to feed it a $5, have it spit out a Charlie Ticket with $2.60, and then have the other person use it, but I'll be honest, I haven't paid in case in probably a decade, so I'm not 100% sure.

You don't need a transfer if you are taking it to South Station, because it drops you off inside the gates. You can just walk downstairs to the Red Line. Similarly, if you are taking it back from Cambridge, you can buy a Charlie Ticket in the station (make sure not to go into an entrance marked "Charlie Card Only"), go through the gates to the Red Line, and then just hop on the Silver Line - no need to show your ticket.

Thanks so much for the great info! I did remember from several years ago that one did not need a transfer is the system was not exited. Although an employee has us pay more on the Charlie card purchased through a machine than was needed, so we ended up with it left over, and it expired after two (?) years.

A Google search revealed that (if info is current on their site), a 50 cent plus cash overage would give one a Charlie card with the extra. I am not sure if letting Jerry ride after I pay with a five would be considered a pass back, which is not allowed. Anyway, we can each pay and have a card for the ride back. One can use a credit card, but there may be a fee, so I am unsure about that. It is great that the cash system allows bills, as some trans systems allow only coins.

I really wanted to go to the MFA, but the museums are closed on Tuesdays. Thanks again for your help. Excepting a cab driver who wouldn't give us the time of day, we found the locals extraordinarily friendly and helpful.

6 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

Thanks so much for the great info! I did remember from several years ago that one did not need a transfer is the system was not exited. Although an employee has us pay more on the Charlie card purchased through a machine than was needed, so we ended up with it left over, and it expired after two (?) years.

A Google search revealed that (if info is current on their site), a 50 cent plus cash overage would give one a Charlie card with the extra. I am not sure if letting Jerry ride after I pay with a five would be considered a pass back, which is not allowed. Anyway, we can each pay and have a card for the ride back. One can use a credit card, but there may be a fee, so I am unsure about that. It is great that the cash system allows bills, as some trans systems allow only coins.

I really wanted to go to the MFA, but the museums are closed on Tuesdays. Thanks again for your help. Excepting a cab driver who wouldn't give us the time of day, we found the locals extraordinarily friendly and helpful.

It looks like the Harvard Art Museum is open on Tuesdays, as is the Harvard Museum of Natural History (which has the amazing glass flowers) if that is something you are interested in. If you need any Cambridge specific recommendations, let me know.

32 minutes ago, Rubyfisch said:

It looks like the Harvard Art Museum is open on Tuesdays, as is the Harvard Museum of Natural History (which has the amazing glass flowers) if that is something you are interested in. If you need any Cambridge specific recommendations, let me know.

Ooh, great news! I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew, and don't want to run late getting back to the ship. About 45 minutes each way? Last time, we did not realize only certain HOHO buses return to the port area. We were on the "wrong" one, but the driver was kind enough to take us last, and of course, we tipped him. There was a bike race that we we stopped in traffic for a bit, so I was really stressed out about the time. I am sure that multiple visits would be required to experience the Cambridge area. They were kind enough to send me a map. We are quite interested in history and architecture. 

Google maps says 32 minutes from Harvard, so budgeting 45 to 50 minutes (i.e., waiting for the train, random delays, etc.). It's very pretty to walk around, and the museums are nice. Remember that you can get a good ways away from the T station, so factor that in as well.

If you haven't been, the Common and the Public Garden (accessible from the Park Street stop) are also very nice.

• Thanks 1