Okinawa-port+rental car questions?

Janman

We will be stopping in Okinawa on our "Islands of the Pacific Theater" Pacific Princess cruise and were wondering if anyone could tell us where the ship docks in Naha. There seems to be several port areas there. Has anyone rented a car there? Is there an agency near the dock and/or do they pick up?

We have an old friend there who we would like to see so don't know if we will be renting a car or whether someone will pick us up. Need to know where to tell them. DH used to live there in the 60's so would like to check out his old neighborhood if he can find it. We have driven on the "wrong" side of the road in Australia and Great Britain so aren't too concerned about that. We also know that there will be a lot of traffic and that you need an international licence to drive in Japan.

Thanks,

Janet

Can't help you on the dock, for Naha, but it is a fairly compact area. There are several rent-a-car agencies downtown.

We stopped there in early 90s en route to Hong Kong - I had been stationed on Okinawa in the 50s, and I had to see it again for closure. I barely recognized much of it. They actually had more than one paved road, the benjo ditches and honey buckets were a thing of the past (they now have working sewer systems), and had switiched from right hand of the road (US style) to left hand (Japanese style). We were able to drive around, and I showed my wife the barracks area (Sukiran) where I hung my hat, etc.

Enjoy your cruise - we took a variation of the Islands of Pacific Theater cruise on Sky Princess, 9-00, San Francisco to Sydney, and it was wonderful.

That particular cruise did not stop at Okinawa.

Our cruise ship, the Oceania Nautica, is stopping at Naha on March 27, and I plan on renting a car and touring the island either on our own or with another couple. I was stationed there in 1957/58, and I can't wait to see the many changes in the almost 50 years since I was there. I have my Int'l drivers license, which I got from AAA.

Mike

Mike,

We have been on the Regatta and Tahitian Princess both sister ships to the Pacific Princess and the Nautica. Nice ships! Would really appreciate if you'd let me know where exactly you docked as that will probobly be where we will be also. Also where you found the rental car. We leave for our cruise April 24. DH lived on Okinawa where his Army dad was stationed in the 50's and 60's. We haven't been there for 35 years. He's looking forward to the visit.

Janet

Subject to no typhoons at the time we are due in Naha on the big one (Sapphire P) Oct 12th. If you do hire a car would be very interested in how you get on, please give us a review of all you do. No probs for me from UK driving on left!

Archived