Backpack for Antarctica cruise

rloke

On 9/27/2022 at 2:49 PM, rloke said:

Hi all...does Atlas provide one on-board?

No backpack provided.  I normally pack one, but not sure that I will on this trip. Your excursions will be by zodiac,  I ran across a video from another lines Antarctic cruises and the person indicated they did not allow backpacks on the zodiacs as a potential safety issue. But I have seen videos where some did have one. I am thinking about a smaller bag that I can access easily under the parka they do provide, and you get to keep. Thinking I would only be carrying extra camera batteries and micro-SD cards. The batteries do not last as long in the cold. Photographers recommend keeping your spares close to your body core.  Muck boots are provided for your use during the cruise.

I am considering taking collapsible hiking poles.  Reports are they have some available where you land, but sometimes not enough for everyone.

I did find another item Atlas will provide but only for those who book the Navigator Suite, a $1600 designer carry-on bag.  Was featured in an information video done for TA’s

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kayakcove said:

No backpack provided.  I normally pack one, but not sure that I will on this trip. Your excursions will be by zodiac,  I ran across a video from another lines Antarctic cruises and the person indicated they did not allow backpacks on the zodiacs as a potential safety issue. But I have seen videos where some did have one. I am thinking about a smaller bag that I can access easily under the parka they do provide, and you get to keep. Thinking I would only be carrying extra camera batteries and micro-SD cards. The batteries do not last as long in the cold. Photographers recommend keeping your spares close to your body core.  Muck boots are provided for your use during the cruise.

I am considering taking collapsible hiking poles.  Reports are they have some available where you land, but sometimes not enough for everyone.

I did find another item Atlas will provide but only for those who book the Navigator Suite, a $1600 designer carry-on bag.  Was featured in an information video done for TA’s

Thanks kayakcove for the info.

I will just use a dry-bag with strap under the jacket then...

My husband will be using the Overboard Classic 20L waterproof backpack to protect his camera gear. Our research indicates backpacks are permitted and you should be prepared to get wet when on the zodiac. The bag has a waterproof rating of IP66.

We purchased the bag from B&H photo.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

https://www.over-board.com/collections/waterproof-backpacks

We will be on the 12/9/22 sailing, anyone else?

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I was on last Christmas Antarctica. Backpacks are allowed, just cannot be worn on the zodiacs, as they can interfere with the life jackets. I took a dry bag backpack. You just hand it to a crew member and they put in on the zodiac and then help you. 

Just note you will need longer straps than usual as you are wearing a ton of clothes, a thick parka, and the life vest. 

• Thanks 1