Medical Kit Suggestions

barb-ottawa

On 10/2/2022 at 1:00 AM, not in ks anymore said:

I have always taken extra RX medications and some OTC meds "just in case." It seems to me that some of the mentioned items may not be necessary. My husband and brother-in-law both tested positive during our Panama Canal cruise in Oct 2021. We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the treatment and support was exemplary. They were both given IV monoclonal antibodies the morning after the positive tests.  Any meds needed to cope with symptoms were provided and the support team did everything possible to make the isolation as pleasant as possible. At the end of the cruise we were transported to a 4 star hotel until the isolation period was completed. The liaison group continued to check on our needs and also arranged transportation to the airport. We were not charged for any of the above.  They were willing to cover any costs for changing flights, etc that were not covered by travel insurance. We were given future cruise credit for each day in isolation onboard. They went above and beyond any expectations and we felt safe coping with Covid under their direction.

I am concerned that passengers who test and treat themselves without the medical center may not properly isolate, thus exposing other passengers. I understand wanting to have anything you may need, but our experience with the medical center leads to confidence that they can and will handle anything that is needed. 

Oh, believe you me, a year later and THEY ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING CLOSE TO THIS anymore.

As of now, you're pretty much on your own.  You'll pay for EVERYTHING, including cough meds, pain meds, etc., and that is ALL you'll be offered--no anitvirals, no antibodies.

You may be able to get Paxlovid--at over $500/Rx. 

You will get a daily phone call to see if you have a fever anymore. 

You will get tested ONCE. 

If you are <5 days in quarantine at disembarkation, they'll likely arrange transport at the pier to a hotel that YOU will pay for and then have to beg for reimbursement from YOUR insurance. 

YOU will have to make your arrangements to return home and deal with the financial consequences and efforts to get reimbursement from YOUR insurance. 

If you want cruise credits for days missed, YOU will have to beg for those.  

YES, people are testing & treating & not isolating & not reporting because of some of the above---because the cruise lines are no longer doing anything but isolating them.  In our case, I had to fight to go into isolation with my DH because I wasn't YET positive. 

We were well equipped to handle it on our own the right way.  We would have stayed in the room & ordered room service.  MANY WON'T DO THAT.  Many aren't doing that.  Now that testing/mask/vax/land quarantine mandates have dropped, IT WILL GET WORSE.

• Thanks 2

Getting back on topic about medical kit suggestions, I would think bug spray, a bug shield and some type of bug bite ointment would be good if you are doing any of the itineraries that head to northeast Canada, Greenland and Iceland. From what I have read on here they were particularly nasty there this year.

• Thanks 1