Melbourne - per cruise

carlmm

My choice would be  Southbank ( Langham , Mercure Crown Towers) . Close to everything and away from the current Metro construction in the central business district. 

A couple of days in Melbourne is plenty. There is a fantastic zoo at Healesville, which is definitely worth the trip if you want to see all the amazing native Australian animals. 

It really depends on your budget, whether you are looking at a five star hotel or something cheaper. If staying more than a couple of days I would suggest an apartment with cooking and laundry facilities.

As andlep has said above Southbank is an ideal area, close for walking to restuarants & bars and catching public transport to visit the museum. The main art galleries are within walking distance as are the wonderful parks and gardens adjacent to the central business district (CBD). Melbourne is well serviced with public transport and the trams which go around and through the CBD are free for that area. 

But really anywhere in the CBD is suitable. If you use a booking site, have a look at that and see what has the best deals for you. 

How long to spend in Melbourne? It depends on your interests and what you would like to see. I would suggest at least a couple of days.