deciding on tours ISP and Juneau

coastiewifern

We are planning to do a whale watching tour and would love to find another wildlife tour with hopes of seeing bears or moose (mainly need recommendations for this). . We have ISP and Juneau open at this time. We are booked July 15 for a 7 day cruise with Princess. We are leaning towards booking Glacier winds in ICP for whale watching but are open to switching things up. Thank you

Glacier Winds in ISP is excellent for whale watching. If you have a long day at ISP, you could also do a bear watching excursion there before or after your whale watching. Bears are also sighted near Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, but nothing is ever guaranteed with wildlife. 

If your itinerary includes Skagway, the trip into the Yukon with Chilkoot Charters is excellent and bears are often seen along the highway on the trip. They will stop when possible for pictures.

• Like 1

Not sure of what you are budgeting for your tours but tours that guarantee bear sightings are pricey!  We did a bear tour in ISP one summer and we’re very fortunate to see a mama bear and two cubs.  Tour guide said our tour was the only one that month to have seen bears….cost was only $140 pp.

I can recommend Above and Beyond Alaska for an Admiralty Island bear tour out of Juneau.  You pay a lot for the experience (around $900 pp) but the bear viewing on our trip was spectacular!  You get taken to a bear sanctuary south of Juneau.

https://beyondak.com/.  

Ditto on Glacier Winds Tour in ISP.  Great excursion—have been on three tours with them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, alasbound said:

Which months did you see the bears in Icy Strait Point?

For bears, I'd recommend a tour from Ketchikan. I've seen bear at Mendenhall in Juneau but nothing compares to Anan Creek and Traitors Cove with Island Wings.  

4 minutes ago, cw2go said:

For bears, I'd recommend a tour from Ketchikan. I've seen bear at Mendenhall in Juneau but nothing compares to Anan Creek and Traitors Cove with Island Wings.  

I think Ketchikan bears need to be August or September, right? We can only go in June or July.

9 minutes ago, alasbound said:

I think Ketchikan bears need to be August or September, right? We can only go in June or July.

I am doing a tour July and it's prime viewing for Anan Creek. It has this info on their site. It's $650 per person.  

From July 1st to early August you can experience a trip of a lifetime at the world renowned bear viewing observatory, Anan Creek. Fly along the beautiful waterways of the Tongass National Forest to Anan Creek which hosts one of the largest pink salmon runs in Southeast Alaska. The presence of the salmon draws a large dinner crowd, including both black and brown bears, seals, river otters, mink, marten and eagles.

I've flown with Michele twice before, amazing tours and great service, 

Patty

10 minutes ago, cw2go said:

I can also recommend Beyond Alaska out of Juneau if you're interested in the Mendenhall Canoe wand Glacier Hike, We had a fabulous tour with them. 

We are pretty set on Whales in Juneau and probably Mendenhall, but I will check these out!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alasbound said:

ahh Starts in Late July.  Earlier than I thought.  I had seen some tours only available in August or September. Thank you!

Traitors cove is July 20th but Anna Creek is July 1st. These are two separate locations/tours.