Kenai Fjords

Sugar&Buddy

I wouldn't stay in Anchorage for three days. Anchorage is a great place to launch your trip from though. Having a rental car is the best option for getting around. If you are looking for a scenic train trip, the Glacier Discovery train from the Alaska Railroad to Grandview is a great day trip.

What are you looking to do in Girdwood?

• Like 1

I recommend getting a rental car.  It will give you more freedom to go where and when you want.  Driving in Alaska is very easy to do.  Staying in Seward is also a suggestion of mine.  

I like Anchorage and consider it to be a very nice city (and also easy to get around by car).  But, to use Anchorage as your "home base", you will loose much sightseeing time driving back and forth from Anchorage to Seward, Girdwood, etc.  

Edited by rkacruiser

On 11/6/2022 at 6:40 PM, Sugar&Buddy said:

Looking into booking a do on your own 3 day pre cruise southbound Anchorage to VC.  Kenai Fjords is a must see.  Should we stay in Anchorage for the 3 days and train to Kenai Peninsula,Girdwood & other small towns?

If you look at the Alaska Railroad route map you will quickly notice that it is not a commuter train.  While you can go from Anchorage to Seward on the train, the train does not stop in Girdwood itself.  And it certainly does not go to Homer, which is one of my favorite small south-central coastal communities.  And while it takes about 2.25 hours to drive between Anchorage and Seward the train requires four hours as the train route and highway diverge.  Take the train to Seward and rent a car there.

• Like 2