Market

WANDA28

From what I can remember (2 years ago) Progresso is MUCH cheaper than Cozumel. However, I remember a larger selection in Cozumel... but that was before the hurricane hit. I'm not sure how Cozumel is now.

Do they have much in the way of jewelry in Progreso?

IMHO: Mexico has jewlery everywhere. (Cozumel, Progreso, Cabo... it all looks the same to me) I don't wear much jewerly, so I'm sure there is someone else out there that has a better answer...

The market where the bus drops you off at has tons of tables of jewerly. They have silver, beads, shells, hemp... you name it- they got it. I'm sure if you go to the beach more venders will hit you up with their selection.

My rule of thumb is: If you HAVE to have it and you're affraid the next port wont have it- then buy it. If you're not sure if it's worth the price, them shoo them away and look until you found THE ONE!

Happy Shopping!

Just go tback a couple of weeks ago and found that everything inProgreso was cheaper. We went there first and I could kick myself because I found much prettier jewelery in that market than anywhere I looked in Cozumel. Also hairbraiding was cheaper. One of my daughters got 1/2 her head done for $15 including beads, the other waited and we spent $20, beads $5 extra in Cozumel.

I'm visiting Progresso first and we'd already decided to just loaf and shop while we're there. I'd love to have my hair braided too. Can you tell me the location of the shop where you had it done? How long did it take?

Thanks!

Melody

Just go tback a couple of weeks ago and found that everything inProgreso was cheaper. We went there first and I could kick myself because I found much prettier jewelery in that market than anywhere I looked in Cozumel. Also hairbraiding was cheaper. One of my daughters got 1/2 her head done for $15 including beads, the other waited and we spent $20, beads $5 extra in Cozumel.

We'd already decided to make Progresso our shopping stop. One question, is the market open on Wednesdays? I managed to find a little bit of info in a guidebook but it said the market was open on Tues & Thurs "when the cruiseships are in town". My cruise is visiting on Wednesday! Anybody know?

Melody

Is It Better To Wait And By Trinkets And Stuff In Progresso Since There Less Activities. Is It Any Cheaper In Progresso Than In Cozumel?

Remember, you can also walk "uptown" where the residents shop. It's very interesting. There's more than tourism there.
Right on, Hdawson. We found real BARGAINS several blocks from the tourist area. Miss Ginger bought some sweats for $8 and I found a nice shirt for $6. We also got a large bottled water and a coke for $1. I love this country.:p

I thought the market was great. Everything was so cheap. I'm still mad at myself for not buying more. I got a couple of necklaces at $3 each, awesome earrings at $4, headbands at $3 and lots of other goodies. My friend was so mad that she bought a pair of earrings at the port shops in Progreso for $20 and I almost identical ones in the market for $4. They even had hammocks for $1. All the beer/alcohol drinks were alot cheaper too. I loved it and want to go back to buy more! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I managed to find a little bit of info in a guidebook but it said the market was open on Tues & Thurs "when the cruiseships are in town". My cruise is visiting on Wednesday! Anybody know?

This you can count on: these people subsist by fishing and farming and selling to each other AND trinkets to fat, rich Americans who have too much money. They can make as much in a day of selling junk jewelry to us as they can from selling a year's worth of fish to each other. They are not going to cut off a major chunk of the annual income just because they want to golf on Wednesdays.

A cruise line could dock in Progresso from 10PM until 6AM and they'd open up for it. Cancun might not.

An overnight stop would be great. That would be time to experience the nightly folklorics and festivities in Merida. They are in parks, free and are real community activities. Not just for tourists.

Archived