Internet on Voyager of the Seas

AHarbison

2 hours ago, AHarbison said:

Cruising for the first time in 6 years and this time with daughter, whom will be 9 at sailing. How does internet/Wifi work on the ship? Thanks in advance!

Go to Royal's website, log in. Use your reservation number to attach the cruise to your online account if it isn't already. You can buy internet service for the trip from there, in the same place you'd buy a drink package or port excursion. It's really intended to pay per person, but you can buy service for multiple devices and just use your own login on the family members' phones.

Atleast this summer it sucked. Don't know if they have gotten starlink yet. We saw a guy in a balcony cabin that were obviously working remotely with his cabin door open overy day. We had an inside cabin two doors away from him on the opposite side of the hallway couldn't use internet at all from our cabin, it was that bad. 

1 hour ago, UnregisteredUser said:

We had an inside cabin two doors away from him on the opposite side of the hallway couldn't use internet at all from our cabin, it was that bad. 

Starlink will not fix that - that’s a networking issue which is not addressed by the upgrade. When you encounter that, go by the door or as one customer did, prop the door open. The steel doors and Wi-Fi signals don’t get along well (the Wi-Fi access points are typically in the hallway on older ships). 

Just now, PrincessPatti said:

Can we share one package and each switch between our two devices?  

You'd have to coordinate a bit and use logoff.com - with a two-device package, on most ships, when the third device logs in it bumps one of the other two (seemingly random). To avoid that, always log off (by going to loggoff.com) to confirm ending the session on one device and then login with your other device.

14 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You'd have to coordinate a bit and use logoff.com - with a two-device package, on most ships, when the third device logs in it bumps one of the other two (seemingly random). To avoid that, always log off (by going to loggoff.com) to confirm ending the session on one device and then login with your other device.

Awesome — thanks!

I was on Voyager back in October and found the VOOM Internet service to be "adequate".  I was able to use my phone for wifi calling and texting, and I used my laptop to do a live report on Cruise Critic complete with photos (I did resize them from the original 12MP to about 1MP).  I also watched a college football game streaming on my laptop with Hulu.  I bought the "Stream" service which is supposed to provide up to 5Mbps, but I don't think I ever saw it that fast.

Since it's a satellite connection, weather can greatly affect the speed.  On cloudy days, it could be nearly unusable.  Another issue I found is that the onboard wifi access points don't "hand-off" very well.  I'd have good service, then move to another part of the ship and it would be nearly unusable.  To solve that, I would turn wifi off and back on to get a "fresh" connection after relocating.

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

I was on Voyager back in October and found the VOOM Internet service to be "adequate".  I was able to use my phone for wifi calling and texting, and I used my laptop to do a live report on Cruise Critic complete with photos (I did resize them from the original 12MP to about 1MP).  I also watched a college football game streaming on my laptop with Hulu.  I bought the "Stream" service which is supposed to provide up to 5Mbps, but I don't think I ever saw it that fast.

Since it's a satellite connection, weather can greatly affect the speed.  On cloudy days, it could be nearly unusable.  Another issue I found is that the onboard wifi access points don't "hand-off" very well.  I'd have good service, then move to another part of the ship and it would be nearly unusable.  To solve that, I would turn wifi off and back on to get a "fresh" connection after relocating.

Thanks so much! This helps!!! 

Can you send me link of your Live? Will be my little girls first cruise and I want to show her more pics of the ship! Thanks in advance!!!