Question about languages!

nikoo.s

Hello!

So we just got back from a cruise on Virtuosa which sailed from Southampton. This obviously meant a lot of English people on board, and the primary language for everything was in English. 

We had such a great time that we are booking more cruises. We have another Southampton one booked going to Norway on the same ship, but have found another great deal on the World Europa sailing from Barcelona. My question is that if we were to go on that one, would the main language on board still be English? (Mainly for things like trivia, excursion tours, activities etc). I have no issue with there being less English passengers but I really enjoyed the trivia and excursions and would love to still be able to take part! 

Also separate note, why doesn't the World Europa have the gorgeous crystal stairs other than in yacht club?! I loved them on Virtuosa haha! (Obviously not an actual problem!!) 🤣

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

The main language will likely be Italian, with Spanish, French, German and English announcements.  Menus will be available in all languages.

Ahh ok. So things like trivia and guided tours won't be in English? 

4 minutes ago, nikoo.s said:

Ahh ok. So things like trivia and guided tours won't be in English? 

Excursions are in multiple languages.

Sometimes “English only” tours and sometimes two languages on one tour.

We have been on “English only” , English/French and English/Spanish tours on Med cruises sailing from Barcelona and Genoa.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

Excursions are in multiple languages.

Sometimes “English only” tours and sometimes two languages on one tour.

We have been on “English only” , English/French and English/Spanish tours on Med cruises sailing from Barcelona and Genoa.

Great! So should be no issues with excursions then which is good to know!

Hopefully the crew will be able to do trivia etc in English as well 🙏 🤣

Our first MSC cruise was a Mediterranean cruise from Civitavecchia (Rome)  

Everything on board was in English and Italian.

The cruise director would first speak in Italian and then repeat it in English.
We didn’t attend trivia as we were in port every day. Not even sure they offered it. 
Music at night was a mix of English and Italian. 

The tours we chose in all 3 countries (Italy, Spain and France) were in English. The only tour guide who struggled with English was on our tour to Avignon. Even though we chose the English tour she spoke mostly in French.

It wasn’t a huge deal as we had the option to use headphones so we ended up wandering off on our own and then meeting back up with the tour for the next stop. 

I never felt like an outsider at all. Most people on the ship could speak English even if it wasn’t their first language. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Our first MSC cruise was a Mediterranean cruise from Civitavecchia (Rome)  

Everything on board was in English and Italian.

The cruise director would first speak in Italian and then repeat it in English.
We didn’t attend trivia as we were in port every day. Not even sure they offered it. 
Music at night was a mix of English and Italian. 

The tours we chose in all 3 countries (Italy, Spain and France) were in English. The only tour guide who struggled with English was on our tour to Avignon. Even though we chose the English tour she spoke mostly in French.

It wasn’t a huge deal as we had the option to use headphones so we ended up wandering off on our own and then meeting back up with the tour for the next stop. 

I never felt like an outsider at all. Most people on the ship could speak English even if it wasn’t their first language. 

Amazing! Thank you 🙂 nothing to worry about then it seems! 

• Like 1