People with portable speakers

tunafish

Today's cruise ships, the newer ones, have some of the most up to date video security systems in the hospitality industry.  It would be hard for me to believe that the ship's security didn't observe the lead-up to the assault or at least a possible issue.  While the cruise industry may have the latest and greatest security toys, I don't think they have the latest and greatest security personnel.  I try not to judge a book by it's cover.  But, some of the security personnel I've observed (not all) don't look like they know a crime from a baseball card and I especially wouldn't want some of them to be sent to back me up in a pinch.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

But, some of the security personnel I've observed (not all) don't look like they know a crime from a baseball card and I especially wouldn't want some of them to be sent to back me up in a pinch.  

I have gone through onboard security screening returning from port visits to see personnel who performed as entertainers during cruise shows wearing security uniforms and performing security checks. I think the majority of "'security role" assignments have staff doing a "collateral" duty. I do not have numbers or percentages but I notice this on many cruises.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I have gone through onboard security screening returning from port visits to see personnel who performed as entertainers during cruise shows wearing security uniforms and performing security checks. I think the majority of "'security role" assignments have staff doing a "collateral" duty. I do not have numbers or percentages but I notice this on many cruises.

I avoided bring that up in my post as I stated that in another post on another board and you wouldn't believe the personal attacks, name calling, and just down right nastiness.  Yes, I totally believe that the guy/gal you see with a badge on their shirt is one that they got out of their cabin closet right next to their dishwashing uniform, or whatever.  No, I don't think that most of their security personnel are professional security folks.  

14 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I avoided bring that up in my post as I stated that in another post on another board and you wouldn't believe the personal attacks, name calling, and just down right nastiness. 

OK, we will leave this sleeping dog alone. 🤐

Back to the main topic: if we cannot control loud speakers on-board ship, other bad behaviors will become more acceptable because easily enforceable policies are being ignored by staff.

Similar to the old broken windows indicating poor esprit-de-core of a neighborhood. This is associated with higher property crime and theft.

• Like 2