Thinking about driving to Wonder this week

chiguypaul

3 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Make sure your return flight isnt cancelled. If you're not on the outbound flight, your return us automatically cancelked, unless on a different locatir number. 

Southwest allows you to cancel an outbound and leave the return flight intact. I just did it this morning for our trip to Silicon Valley. Our flight to San Jose for tomorrow night (Dec 28) was canceled because of the Southwest debacle. (I was on that flight with the kids, but my husband was flying outbound on American because he had credit to use, and then we were all going to fly home together.)

He will get there on American on time, but Southwest couldn't get the rest of us there until Saturday, so I canceled that leg, and ticked the box indicating that we want to keep the return flight. I have gotten confirmation emails stating that our itinerary now consists only of the return flight as a one-way.

The kids and I are now flying on American to Monterey (about 90 minutes from where husband is landing at the same time) and spending the night in a hotel until he and my SIL come get us and make a day trip out of it to Monterey.

It's a fiasco. We are being reimbursed for the canceled outbound flight, but are $1200 out of pocket for the one-way on American. I submitted a request for reimbursement, as per all the Reddits I'm reading and Secretary Buttigieg's comments, and statements from Southwest pilots on CNN. Fingers crossed we'll be reimbursed for the increased travel costs - there are reports that people are getting reimbursements because Southwest wants to avoid the PR nightmare.

I wanted to provide some closure on this thread that I started. We ended up driving. Our flight was originally scheduled for December 29. We decided to leave on December 28th and make it a 2 1/2 day trip with a stop in Atlanta for some tourist stuff.  Our originally planned flight didn’t experience any delays. But I have zero regrets about driving and it alleviated a tremendous amount of stress by doing so.  We are flying back.  Thanks everyone for their comments. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2